Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today

FYI: I was just traveling down memory lane on this thread, and I saw where I noted that on my Easter hatch, I got the first pip on Sunday and first baby not until Tuesday. So see, don't stress if they're not out tonight. That hatch was torture on me! Lol. :)

Here's an update for you all! Egg #2 has broken through the shell in two places and we can see that we have a little black baby inside! Egg #1 has made no progress for at least 12hrs. I'm concerned that the outer membrane may be too tough for it, is that possible? When should I get worried? I don't want to intervene unless I have to. Help!

OK, I decided to assist both of the eggs. I could see that the membrane was very dry and shrink wrapped so to speak. Egg #1 I just chipped away a little bit and could see a few pinkish blood vessels so I stopped and wrapped it in a wet paper towel and put it back in the incubator. Egg #2 needed very little help. I just peeled back a tiny sliver of the membrane and OUT she popped! Thank goodness I found my camera, I was able to get a couple of photos of the little one, we are naming him/her Paprika :) No name yet for Egg #1, we'll see what it looks like when it comes out.

Look at iitttt!!! How is s/he now?? And how neat was that?? Congrats!

Hopefully you didn't have to help more for the other, we all know how scary that gets.. Hoping for a great next update!!

Edit: Was there a reason the one had to come out of the bator still so wet? Hopefully it didn't chill.. :/

Last edited:
Update: I did have to help the second one quite a bit. He struggled and struggled for hours but the membrane was practically gluing all of his feathers and limbs together. He could barely move at that point. With a tender touch I carefully brushed away tiny bits of membrane and shell and then waited, and then repeated another hour later or so. Eventually he got himself about 75% out and stayed that way for about 2hrs. His yolk was not fully absorbed (just a TINY little bit left). Then he all of a sudden jerked and he was free, He does seem weaker than than Paprika was right after birth. Maybe because he had to struggle so much harder to get free. In any event, they are both snuggling together in the brooder box and doing well as far as I can tell. I've never had such young creatures in my care besides my children! Both are strong peepers and are wobbling around the box from time to time. More photos to add later today. It was a LONG night and I am exhausted!!

Oh, and the reason why I took him out of the gator was because I was so concerned about disturbing the moisture level for the other duckling. He seems to be doing really well and seems pretty strong. Any suggestions for the weaker duckling? I've read giving sugar water helps, what is your experience?

Oh, and the reason why I took him out of the gator was because I was so concerned about disturbing the moisture level for the other duckling. He seems to be doing really well and seems pretty strong. Any suggestions for the weaker duckling? I've read giving sugar water helps, what is your experience?
or if you have any poultry vitamins? Poultry Nutri Drench is a good one mixed with a little bit of warm water. I always offer it their first week. I think sugar water is only a one time thing. you don't want to make them hypoglycemic

But Congrats on your new babies..
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom