THREE SISTERS

Well the corn is 3 feet in some places but I'm worried that despite the 3-5 feet between rows that the wild winter squashes have spread far and wide blocking the walkways. May not be able to reach the corn for fresh eating. The corn did not germinate well, only every third or fouth seed has survived if that. Oh well. Might try a block of corn, sweet fresh corn by itself, and plant the dried corn between the squash rows.

Checked the patch of winter squash in the upper garden, where the seeds were planted directly into a thick layer of freshish manure. Seeing some fruit,
wee.gif
but some plants were wilty. Will check again tomorrow if tonight does not rain. These plants over ran the watermelons!!! Darn it. SOn is very disappointed his melons will not be producing. Cant blame him. I was looking forward to our own melons too.

Here's an update on the hookers blue corn.

This is it when the first couple of kernels start to get a blue tint

This is when its blue

The 1st one is just as sweet as candy corn. Surprisingly the 2nd one is still tender enough to eat after a quick boil, though there isn't any sweetness left

i had to look back and check the date that I started this thread, almost a year ago, missing by 4 days. anyway. The deer got EVERYTHING I planted this year. I start seeds in the basement, and had a good start on a garden including the three sisters,until the deer came in. I had to rely on the big box store to get some scrawney plants, cover everything with wire, now things are growing good, I've harvested some cukes, a few zuchini, the only thing the deer have eaten lately are some sun flowers, they bite the flower off and leave it in the ground. As for the 3 sisters, I will try again next year, no winter squash, I'd rather hoe weeds than fight them. I'll put cukes between the mounds. Hope everyone has a good harvest this year.

Since the thread has primarily focused on the corn portion of the 3 sisters, I decided to post some pics of the winter squash and pumpkins that did well this year in my 3 sisters.

From left to right: honeyboat delicata, Butternut Rogosa Violina "Gioia" Squash, Seminole pumpkin (that likely hybridized), black futsu squash, Chihuahua Landrace Squash, and a stunted Rouge Vif D' Etampes Pumpkin

thumbsup.gif

Wow what a nice collection of yummy squash!!!!

Our squash went in late due to late spring and there are just a few baby squash visible here and there. The mass of tangled vines is . .. MASSIVE!!!! They grow like weeds these old varieties. So just a few hints of a fruit here and there along the edges.

So thank you for posting these pics so I have a hint of what is to come along in the weeks ahead.

THe old winter squashes are WILD in their growth habits. Over grown EVERYTHING else in the garden. THe bush cukes are too short and got overwhelmed, lol, by the spreading squash. The corn is tall enough as they grew quickly in the warm summer heat and quickly out grew the squash, and are now tassling.

We cannot help the corn get fertilized. So I'm not expecting great results as the corn is NOT spaced close together. . . . but hey, I cant harvest it as fresh either. . . .lol, without trampling the wild vining squash plants!!!

Picked two Cream of the Crop, which is a young white acorn type. The tiniest spoiled very quickly-- found it soft and mushy this morning and it will go to the birds; the larger one needs a recipe so I will wing it and hope for something tasty.

Much to learn. lol

A new friend mentioned a "plastic" mulch that is actually made from corn and will last one season. Used at t he organic gardens. ANyone know of this or how to find??

Back
Top Bottom