Thyroid Disease suffers

Quote:
This is very interesting. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism approximately 9 years ago. Around 5 years GP sent off my bloodwork to a lab that specialized in Thyroid stuff..."Great Smokies Diagnostic Lab" in Asheville Nc. Anyway, the results showed that they believed I had experienced, or had Hashimotos Thyroiditis.

I also am a migraine sufferer....which is clearly a neurological disease. I am wondering if the two aren't related? Especially since so many migraine sufferers have stroke like symptoms? This is very very interesting.

This is very interesting. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism approximately 9 years ago. Around 5 years GP sent off my bloodwork to a lab that specialized in Thyroid stuff..."Great Smokies Diagnostic Lab" in Asheville Nc. Anyway, the results showed that they believed I had experienced, or had Hashimotos Thyroiditis.

I also am a migraine sufferer....which is clearly a neurological disease. I am wondering if the two aren't related? Especially since so many migraine sufferers have stroke like symptoms? This is very very interesting.

Great Smokies is a great lab. He must have tested your antibodies.

I don't think all migraines are caused by specific neurological disease, per se...

I mean, yes, they are neuro in nature, but I think they can be caused by substances too, such as nitrites. Does that make any sense?

Thyroid sufferers do have a higher incidence of migraines.

One day medical knowledge will be able to put it all together. Unfortunately, probably not while we are alive!​

I know what you mean by nitrates being a trigger...but whether they are just a trigger, or if they are actually a cause in and of themselves is something I'm not sure medical science has figured out yet? I was wondering though.....how many migraine sufferers who also have thyroid problems specifically have migraines on the right side of the head? I wonder if there is a correlation there? I can say that when I have a migraine that is specifically one sided (they aren't always) it is almost exclusively on the right side.

I was wondering though.....how many migraine sufferers who also have thyroid problems specifically have migraines on the right side of the head? I wonder if there is a correlation there? I can say that when I have a migraine that is specifically one sided (they aren't always) it is almost exclusively on the right side.

I can get migraines on either side, but three times as many are on the right.

Left-sided are much harder to take - more serious, intractable pain. But luckily I only get them once or twice a year. I don't know for sure what causes those.​

I finally went to the doc. I really like him. He said he was taught at school to look at TSH values To determine your thyroid function. But he realized there where so many people that had good levels but felt crappy so he treats by symptoms. He started me on a T4 only med. And in 6 weeks he will retest. This will tell him if my body is converting it to T-3. But he pulled blood to test and went ahead and started me on meds based off symptoms rather than waiting for the labs to come back.

I finally went to the doc. I really like him. He said he was taught at school to look at TSH values To determine your thyroid function. But he realized there where so many people that had good levels but felt cruddy so he treats by symptoms. He started me on a T4 only med. And in 6 weeks he will retest. This will tell him if my body is converting it to T-3. But he pulled blood to test and went ahead and started me on meds based off symptoms rather than waiting for the labs to come back.

So glad you like him. That's half the battle!

I'm curious as to whether he is checking T3 and T4 levels as well as TSH? Did he mention those tests?

If he's going to go by your symptoms, he should go ahead and test for T3 & 4. Those levels usually reflect symptoms pretty well, and would do a better job of telling him whether you are converting T4 to T3 appropriately.

Retesting your TSH level in 6 weeks will tell him nothing about how well you are converting T4 into T3.

When you see him again, ask him what those levels were, and if he said he didn't test them, ask him to do that rather than relying on TSH only. Ask him also if he is aware of the very newest guidelines on TSH? The level should fall somewhere between 1 and 2 in the range to be optimal, and unless you have a heart condition, your T3 & 4 should fall within the upper 1/3 of the range.​

He did say when I go back he will retest to see if I'm converting t3 to T4 so I believe he is doing those tests. I'll see if he knows about the range changes.

He did say when I go back he will retest to see if I'm converting t3 to T4 so I believe he is doing those tests. I'll see if he knows about the range changes.

You are really lucky to have him
smile.png

I hope you think about requesting a change from fake meds to Armour natural thyroid. I suspect your dosage may have to be raised before you feel definitely better and your T3 and T4 are optimal.​

I'm amazed at how many have thyroid disease. I had my thyroid removed about9 yrs ago. Thyrotoxicosis I think. My weight has not changed much. I'm 42, 5'10" and 134lbs. I look healthier and feel healthier. My Doc checks my thyroid levels twice a year. I take synthroid daily. Before surgery, it got to the point were you could count my ribs from accross the room. I couldn't walk up a hill or be in the sun for more than a few minutes. I could feel my heart beating out of control and my skin was extremely dry and itchy. I couldn't stand to touch anything cold. Mind you..this all came on in a years time. I have always been active and fast paced. I've never had headaches, thank God. I still have sensitivity to cold. Maybe it's unrelated.

I have also been warned about generic thyroid meds. My doctor is awsome.
I suggest that anyone experiencing symptoms that can be linked to thyroid problems, INSIST on a blood test. It's simple and not expensive.

Back
Top Bottom