Time Management and chickens

I'm not an expert, as I don't have my own chickens yet, I'm still in the planning stage, but my parents have always had chickens and I've read a lot on BYC while planning my chicken management.

I think the more time you spend away from your chickens the more important a predator proof coop and run is, because you won't be there to keep an eye out for them. If your run is predator proof you can leave the pop door open all the time. If you don't want the expense of a really tough run, while your husband doesn't want to deal with the "upkeep" if he would be willing to open the pop door on mornings you're not there and close it on evenings when you're not there, it seems like you're home plenty of time to take care of feeding, watering, and cleaning. If he doesn't want to do that you can get an automatic pop door, as it seems like you'll be there often enough on the off-chance there's a malfunction and you have to open or close it manually. You can get feeders and waterers that you only have to fill once a week, and if you set up your coop and run with deep litter you very rarely have to clean anything out... and even without I think you can get away with only scooping poop once or twice a week otherwise.

There is lots of good information here on BYC, searching the forums has answered almost any question I have thought of so far. Welcome to the community!
Regarding your statement that if I had a predator proof run I could keep the pop door open. I have fairly moderate weather here so I'm thinking maybe leaving the pop door open might work. But at the same time I thought wouldn't that lead to colder conditions inside the coop? I know the birds roost together for warmth and they also have feathers to keep them warm so, really, what is cold or too cold for a chicken?

Chickens can take up as much or as little time as you want. On an average work day I can spend as little as 10 minutes on my chickens. If I were to modify my setup it could be less. Chickens like to go in and out at sun up and sun down. If you are not home at those times to open and lock the coop, you can enlist the help of a friend or family member or invest in an automatic coop door. I fill their food and water. That's it. A few minutes. When I have a day off and my schedule permits I clean the coop and do any other maintenance that may be needed. If I used different food and water containers I wouldn't even have to do that daily, but I like to check on them. Eggs can be collected once every 24 hours, usually late afternoon or evening. You can make it work if you want.
Have you ever missed collecting eggs in a 24 hour period? Is that a no no?

It's excellent that you're thinking it through before you get chickens. I think that's a sign that you'll be able to raise them well. People on here give good advice and really want to help--isn't that kinda awesome? :)
Yes, it is. I feel better already. Can't wait till it stops raining for a minute so I can get out there building and predator proofing! Thanks!

It's excellent that you're thinking it through before you get chickens. I think that's a sign that you'll be able to raise them well. People on here give good advice and really want to help--isn't that kinda awesome? :)
Regarding your statement that if I had a predator proof run I could keep the pop door open. I have fairly moderate weather here so I'm thinking maybe leaving the pop door open might work. But at the same time I thought wouldn't that lead to colder conditions inside the coop? I know the birds roost together for warmth and they also have feathers to keep them warm so, really, what is cold or too cold for a chicken?

Sometimes my husband will help me feed and water the chickens. It takes us like 10-15 minutes together. Then he asks why it takes me an hour by myself! :D
I enjoy squatting down in each pen, talking and observing them, looking for any that might not be acting normal, getting to know them, making them know that I'm good!

I think my reply was meant for someone else and I can't fix it. Sigh.

Sometimes my husband will help me feed and water the chickens. It takes us like 10-15 minutes together. Then he asks why it takes me an hour by myself! :D
I enjoy squatting down in each pen, talking and observing them, looking for any that might not be acting normal, getting to know them, making them know that I'm good!
That seems like the proper thing to do. Somehow I think my hubs would say the same thing. I just can't imagine him out there helping me.

I know the birds roost together for warmth and they also have feathers to keep them warm so, really, what is cold or too cold for a chicken?
.....and then there's ventilation, which is kind of tricky and hard to explain.
The pop door being open 24/7 may not be a problem at all during your winters.
You'll need to research coops next.
How to ventilate depends on the configuration of your coop,
the taller the coop - the easier it is to ventilate.
Here a pretty good discussion on ventilation vs drafts:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

And here some tips on the height of things in the coop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-should-stuff-be.73427/

.....and then there's ventilation, which is kind of tricky and hard to explain.
The pop door being open 24/7 may not be a problem at all during your winters.
You'll need to research coops next.
How to ventilate depends on the configuration of your coop,
the taller the coop - the easier it is to ventilate.
Here a pretty good discussion on ventilation vs drafts:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

And here some tips on the height of things in the coop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-should-stuff-be.73427/
Thank you!

I know the birds roost together for warmth and they also have feathers to keep them warm so, really, what is cold or too cold for a chicken?

Chickens can stay comfy in temps down to 20 below zero... The key though is it has to be "draft" free. If there's a draft or wind blowing up their skirts, they won't be able to use all those feathers and down to keep warm. In real cold weather, the other issue is humidity. Excess moisture causes frost bite (cold) as well as respiratory (hot) issues. That's why ventilation is so important.

Back
Top Bottom