tips and secrets of the GQF 1502 sportsman...

Pics
Quote:
I have washed eggs because they were quite dirty and put them in the incubator and they hatched OK. I don't wash my eggs except if they are dirty. A broody doesn't wash her eggs either and they still hatch fine. I'm sure it's not overly sanitary in a broody's nest. I have never had an egg explode either. I have had some rather stinky eggs but only a couple of times over many many years.

I have washed eggs because they were quite dirty and put them in the incubator and they hatched OK. I don't wash my eggs except if they are dirty. A broody doesn't wash her eggs either and they still hatch fine. I'm sure it's not overly sanitary in a broody's nest. I have never had an egg explode either. I have had some rather stinky eggs but only a couple of times over many many years.

maybe i read you wrong but you seam to have missed my point. in the broody's next an egg needs to have the bloom to protect it because the nest isn't the most clean enviornment, inside your incubator (if you keep it clean like you should) it doesn't need the bloom and therefore there is no harm from washing and disinfecting eggs.

What is your cleaning ratio? Just wondering as I never bleached the eggs because of the bloom. Very interesting.

Quote:
I have a couple of old Hova-Bators and a couple of old Little Giants and my home-made cooler incubator/hatcher. The styrofoam boxes in front of the island are what I put the chicks in while they dry out.

Some of these are ready for the grow-out coop.

First grow-out coop.

Getting ready to clean out this coop. It is the next coop they go into. It does have nest boxes but I will block them off at first until they start laying.

Quote:
hide.gif

I have a couple of old Hova-Bators and a couple of old Little Giants and my home-made cooler incubator/hatcher. The styrofoam boxes in front of the island are what I put the chicks in while they dry out. Some of these are ready for the grow-out coop. First grow-out coop. Getting ready to clean out this coop. It is the next coop they go into. It does have nest boxes but I will block them off at first until they start laying.
cmom you have a great set up. Info on the styrofoam coolers you use to dry off the chicks please? I have 4 x 4 coops outside that I keep my grow puts in untill they go to the big grow out coop.

They told us one ounce of chlorine to one gallon of water. I do not hold them under the solution long, I dunk, wipe and rinse, then dunk rinse and wipe. I do not put them in a rinse tank, I rinse under running hot water at about 115 degrees. The solution is 115 also, I have an on demand water heater so I can set the temp where I want it remotely.

Back
Top Bottom