tips and secrets of the GQF 1502 sportsman...

Pics
My Sporstman is scheduled for delivery tomorrow! The egg racks were delivered today so Ive already got eggs ready to go in. I plan on using the Sportsman just as an incubator and modifying my Genesis into a sectioned hatcher with separate compartments to keep breeds that look similar separated for accurate marking. I will use my auto turner from my Genesis to turn stored eggs prior to setting. We stagger hatches and set weekly so I think my system will work out well. I like the idea of hatching in a separate incubator just to keep my Sportsman clean, plus I can regulate and keep a more constant humidity in each incubator that way.. lower for the incubator, higher for the hatcher. :)

Last edited:
Looking for some tips. I just got a new sportsman a month ago. Do you get better hatches if you keep the humidity the same all the time.
Thanks

the best hatch rates are are acheived in a separate hatcher and not hatching in your incubator. 

I have been told that. But hatching in the tray is my only option. I had a breeding tell me to keep humidity at 60- 65% all the time.

I have been told that. But hatching in the tray is my only option. I had a breeding tell me to keep humidity at 60- 65% all the time.

if your humidity isn't sufficiently low enough for the correct moisture loss during incubation the air cell will be too small and the chick too big, this makes it difficult (and sometimes impossible) for the chick to zip and get out of the shell.

with it being your only option doing non staggered hatches would give you the best option, with staggered hatches you really have little choice but to bump up the humidity during hatch days.

if your humidity isn't sufficiently low enough for the correct moisture loss during incubation the air cell will be too small and the chick too big, this makes it difficult (and sometimes impossible) for the chick to zip and get out of the shell.  

with it being your only option doing non staggered hatches would give you the best option, with staggered hatches you really have little choice but to bump up the humidity during hatch days.

Thanks
im going to experiment alittle. But someone has got to incubate and hatch in a sportsman and get good results.

Oldblue, if you can figure out a way to hatch somewhere else life will be better. The problem as JetCat says is incubating eggs and hatching eggs need different humidity levels for things to go right.

Looking for some tips. I just got a new sportsman a month ago. Do you get better hatches if you keep the humidity the same all the time.
Thanks

I agree with the others. When I hatched in my sportsman my hatches were only around 60 to 70%, but since I have been using my styrofoam incubators as hatchers, now my hatches are around 90%.

I agree with the others. When I hatched in my sportsman my hatches were only around 60 to 70%, but since I have been using my styrofoam incubators as hatchers, now my hatches are around 90%.

Thanks for the help. Im goingto keep experimenting. If i can get my hatches around 80% ill be happy for now. And any more information would be great.

Back
Top Bottom