Tips on ventilation and cleaning this coop.

So I am not a builder and I am not sure if this would work, maybe others can chime in, but I would try to turn your whole structure into the coop by building a raised platform and setting the whole thing on top. The top of the platform would be the floor of the coop. You would be giving up the slide out drawer, but raised coops aren't too hard to clean anyway. You would have to get rid of the zigzag supports you have now and probably add supports to the sides, but the plywood sheets on the sides will add some support. Keep the side you have open as a hinged door for clean out. Even better would be to add a second door to the other side of the coop. Nest boxes can be added externally on one of the short sides. I think if you can make it work, this will at least keep what you have already built from going to waste, but I think both you and your chickens will me much happier with a taller coop.

So I am not a builder and I am not sure if this would work, maybe others can chime in, but I would try to turn your whole structure into the coop by building a raised platform and setting the whole thing on top. The top of the platform would be the floor of the coop. You would be giving up the slide out drawer, but raised coops aren't too hard to clean anyway. You would have to get rid of the zigzag supports you have now and probably add supports to the sides, but the plywood sheets on the sides will add some support. Keep the side you have open as a hinged door for clean out. Even better would be to add a second door to the other side of the coop. Nest boxes can be added externally on one of the short sides. I think if you can make it work, this will at least keep what you have already built from going to waste, but I think both you and your chickens will me much happier with a taller coop.

Trying to picture this... so it's already raised over two feet from the ground, are you saying build from the bottom to add height?

Trying to picture this... so it's already raised over two feet from the ground, are you saying build from the bottom to add height?

I think what they are saying is...

Build a second platform, place this entire structure on top, remove the diagonal pieces and add siding to the now elevated existing structure.
That would increase your height by the height your current legs are (those legs becoming the inside corners of the coop).

I think what they are saying is...

Build a second platform, place this entire structure on top, remove the diagonal pieces and add siding to the now elevated existing structure.
That would increase your height by the height your current legs are (those legs becoming the inside corners of the coop).
Yes, this is what I was trying to say:D

Made a new post, but instead I'm adding to this thread for an update.

So it's 12" higher now on all sides. Now I need help with ventilation:

Here is my build for 8 chickens. It's 6'x6'x30" at the highest.
Current build has 2.5 sq ft of roof ventilation planned and I know that's not enough. The roof isn't completely attached yet so we can modify. We are in Zone 8 where it gets 90+ and humid for about a month during the summer and dips below freezing a few times in the winter.
I thought about a three-sided coop but felt like it wouldn't be predator proof just because of how large the opening would have to be. We do have a door one on side for the nesting boxes - should we maybe just cover the other part with hardware wire instead of closing that side in? (would give us about 6x3 opening What are some other ways to add some ventilation?
We are planning on our run being predator resistant - 1/2" wire 2 feet up, chicken wire up the rest and the top with bird netting for hawks, plus I was going to do an apron out 12" all the way around. I'm not sure how many night predators we will get - chicks have been in a tractor with 1x2 wire around during the day with no issues but we have seen possums and racoons around on the rare occasion.

ETA: We put this in deep shade, I don't know that this area gets any direct sun. Builder says he could trim the sides down more so there's larger holes on either side.

Attachments

• PXL_20230922_142334031.jpg
    PXL_20230922_142334031.jpg
    796.1 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20230922_142342528.jpg
    PXL_20230922_142342528.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20230922_142348183.jpg
    PXL_20230922_142348183.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20230922_142353941.jpg
    PXL_20230922_142353941.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20230922_142403410.jpg
    PXL_20230922_142403410.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 17
Made a new post, but instead I'm adding to this thread for an update.

So it's 12" higher now on all sides. Now I need help with ventilation:

Here is my build for 8 chickens. It's 6'x6'x30" at the highest.
Current build has 2.5 sq ft of roof ventilation planned and I know that's not enough. The roof isn't completely attached yet so we can modify. We are in Zone 8 where it gets 90+ and humid for about a month during the summer and dips below freezing a few times in the winter.
I thought about a three-sided coop but felt like it wouldn't be predator proof just because of how large the opening would have to be. We do have a door one on side for the nesting boxes - should we maybe just cover the other part with hardware wire instead of closing that side in? (would give us about 6x3 opening What are some other ways to add some ventilation?
We are planning on our run being predator resistant - 1/2" wire 2 feet up, chicken wire up the rest and the top with bird netting for hawks, plus I was going to do an apron out 12" all the way around. I'm not sure how many night predators we will get - chicks have been in a tractor with 1x2 wire around during the day with no issues but we have seen possums and racoons around on the rare occasion.

ETA: We put this in deep shade, I don't know that this area gets any direct sun. Builder says he could trim the sides down more so there's larger holes on either side.
30"..??? My smallest chicken stands at least 12", you will have no room for them to even get on a roost if you can find a place to put it. You should make the whole front HWC, if you frame it in it'll be just fine. Personally, I would not keep 1 chicken in there let alone 8, IMHO I think you are going to have a lot of behavioral problems in the future due to such tight, stuffy conditions.

I thought about a three-sided coop but felt like it wouldn't be predator proof just because of how large the opening would have to be. We do have a door one on side for the nesting boxes - should we maybe just cover the other part with hardware wire instead of closing that side in? (would give us about 6x3 opening
With how it's built I think the only way to get enough ventilation is to do wire mesh on one wall/door as you mentioned, as long as that open side is facing away from predominant wind directions.

How cold does it get in winter? Sounds like just below freezing, but I want to make sure. Chickens can handle cold just fine as long as they have protection from drafts and rain/snow. Your 90+ summers will be harder on them than a few days in the 20s or 30s.

We are in Fl , so a breezeway is very important to our Ladies. Our “coops” are not enclosed, though we do have built runs on them under roofs. The chickens roost in safety at night, as we close up the run door. I would like to , eventually , build a big , enclosed coop for them . We have pine shavings on a dirt floor, and rake it out about every other month. They lay in store bought coops that we leave open for access to the nesting boxes, and there are nesting boxes in the coops behind the roosting bars.

I also would like to see pics from farther back.

In this picture I think a simple change can gain a bit of ventilation.
If the long board were moved back 5-6" it would still support the roofing but would allow a gap for airflow. The gap would definitely need covered with hardware cloth.

PXL_20230922_142353941.jpg

Back
Top Bottom