To add LIght or not to add LIght thats the question?

shortlegs2

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 22, 2007
New Zealand
This is the first year in 5 that I have not added artificial light to my coop. All I can say is it sucks!!! NO EGGS!!!!!! ZIPPO Nadda NOTHING!!!!!! I wish I did add light than I wouldnt be in this jam. I have on my shopping list eggs from the supermarket, ugg:/ I havent bought supermarket eggs in 5 years!!!!

I guess the chickens figured out I am disheartened because there was an EGG, Its like getting youre very first egg I sware!!! Whoppie I cant believe it I now have 1 egg, better be more tomorrow. I wished I had put in lights!!

So my question is this:

HOW MANY OF YOU ADD ARTIFICIAL LIGHT IN THE WINTER?

Toni
http://www.keepsakeeggs.com

Toni, I place a light in the coop with a timer, so the hens get 14 hours of light, which is the amount of light that works best for my hens.
It is a choice that each flock owner needs to make.

Winter rest for the hens will provide rejuvenated birds when the days get longer (already starting to happen) and they start to lay again. It is good for them to have a while off from laying.

Winter weather is stressful on the hens, just keeping warm.

If adding light now is your thought, it's best to increase the light gradually though.

bigzio

bigzio - no I am not going to add light. What you described exactly is what I have done for 4 years. This is the first time I didnt, not happy with my choice, but oh well.

Hopefully Poksitony(sp?)Phill wont see his shadow, then spring is around the corner??? did I get ground hog day right or backwards...LOL.

Toni

We add light, but only in the morning, maybe a couple of hours. I would hate to be an outside animal and not be able to play outside. (I know, projecting
tongue.png
). Mine lay less in the winter, but that's ok. I have not had to buy eggs in winter for the last 3 years, thanks to the ducks who crank them out all year round.

Back
Top Bottom