Tolbunt Polish

Pics
NO, I REALLY DON'T MISS NEW YORK IN THE WINTER. THE SHOVELING, DRIVING, AND HAULING WATER OUT TO THE HORSES WAS AWFUL.

Nice pics, Nat. What's a split hen?
SOrry split for the mottled gene that will show pure half that wont show it....So over one of the two pure boys...her eggs will produce 75% chicks that show to be Tolbunts

Actually 50% will look like true Tolbunts.

The mottling gene is recessive, and very few splits actually show any mottling once fully mature, most show a tiny bit of white when young then it disappears, so with there being a lot of splits from pure x split, only 50% will be true, the other 50% will be splits with not enough mottling to actually look like a Tolbunt. Your girl there has a little showing, but most hardly have any at all, plus there's the fact that many Tolbunts and Laced alike have unwanted white in the crest that gradually increases with age, often mistaken for mottling. I've got a GL hen, no mottling in her, that has what appears to be such in her crest.

Pretty boys sonew123!

Actually 50% will look like true Tolbunts.

The mottling gene is recessive, and very few splits actually show any mottling once fully mature, most show a tiny bit of white when young then it disappears, so with there being a lot of splits from pure x split, only 50% will be true, the other 50% will be splits with not enough mottling to actually look like a Tolbunt. Your girl there has a little showing, but most hardly have any at all, plus there's the fact that many Tolbunts and Laced alike have unwanted white in the crest that gradually increases with age, often mistaken for mottling. I've got a GL hen, no mottling in her, that has what appears to be such in her crest.

Pretty boys sonew123!
Yup..Im aware of all of that..screwed up my math:( Blaming it in my monster cold! Thanks... Im hoping more prove to be pure looking when they hatch...Ill post photos when they hatch!

Last edited:
Nat , your Tolbunt roos are in together with the girls?
Yes...i know what your thinking...the frizzled girl isnt laying yet, just the Gl one;) I also have a bunch of hens in with them that they hatched with...Its preventing the one frizzled hen and the smooth gl from getting over mated....by next week the snow should be mostly gone and they pairs will get split up accordingly;) For now, the eggs from the marans and olive eggers in with them have been getting sold...Its paying for the new electric fencing we want to extend their free rang territory...

Nat, I was just wondering if you had a few roos together and they got along?
Yes, sorry Semi..lol thought you were asking about the frizzle on frizzle haha...both boys are together...The smooth male is the dominant one...have notvseen any fighting so far...knock on wood! They have to get separated soon though..so hopefully nothing will go down before then!

My smooth and frizzle have been living together almost all their life, no issues here. I even separated them for a couple months and over very short time with integration, they got along again. Smooth is always dominant though.

That's nice. I had 2 Polish roos together, and one was dominant and there was never a problem. But the hens would toss the lowly roo him a few feet if he tried to "get some" BUT if dominant roo had to scold him, the hens would run to the lowly roo and protect him. It was quite interesting.

So I'm glad it's possible because I'm certainly going to have some cockerels in this hatch I have on Friday. And really want to keep them all.
love.gif

Mine have an interesting relationship. The frizzled boy is the lower one, although I swear the reason why is because of his feathering and very girly voice. However, even though the smooth gets the most, the frizzled can indeed have "dibs" on a couple select girls, and if anyone gets bred, the rooster not doing the deed doesn't seem to object much. There's some complaining noises, some watching over, but no fights or pushing or pecking.

Back
Top Bottom