Tolbunt Polish

Pics
Our smooth tolbunt will go after DH..but not me...hell charge him but not flog...I think its because of scewed vision with his feathers blocking total vision...We laugh at it because I can walk right in and its as if Im not in there...He sees my DH and trouble brews!

Our smooth tolbunt will go after DH..but not me...hell charge him but not flog...I think its because of scewed vision with his feathers blocking total vision...We laugh at it because I can walk right in and its as if Im not in there...He sees my DH and trouble brews!

I was toting a stick around for a while but I realized the only time he came at me was if I walked up to him. I have been more careful to make sure I talk to him so he has time to move.....but I will only do this for a while. He will be the first to go if he doesn't mellow out some. He just started topping hens and is so...randy...he runs around the yard like he is insane hunting hens. I hope that has something to do with it. He also has not charged anyone else. That is odd how they do that.

A "tall" tail (90 degrees) is a disqualification in show, for those curious.

Tail should be held at 45 degrees, a nice diagonal angle, no more no less but my personal preference would be less if not 45, as squirrel tails and birds carrying the trait are really, really common sadly. Both my pure parent Tolbunts have squirrel tails (although are carrying them 5-10 degrees lower this molt/year) most of my laced Polish either have squirrel or pinched/compact tails, and only my too small Crele and my WCB's have good tails. It is a challenge. Even my Houdan cross male has a squirrel tail, as both his parents did.

My family seem to like the appearance but it irks me, plus, it isn't a desirable trait for any LF breed.

A "tall" tail (90 degrees) is a disqualification in show, for those curious.

Tail should be held at 45 degrees, a nice diagonal angle, no more no less but my personal preference would be less if not 45, as squirrel tails and birds carrying the trait are really, really common sadly. Both my pure parent Tolbunts have squirrel tails (although are carrying them 5-10 degrees lower this molt/year) most of my laced Polish either have squirrel or pinched/compact tails, and only my too small Crele and my WCB's have good tails. It is a challenge. Even my Houdan cross male has a squirrel tail, as both his parents did.

My family seem to like the appearance but it irks me, plus, it isn't a desirable trait for any LF breed.
I still like it when the tail stands tall DQ or not....;)

I've experienced awfully vicious Polish roosters and end up disposing of them. But first I try to have hatched chickens fathered by them so I don't have regrets.
I've currently a nasty one that has fabulous gold lacing and is penned with two pullets. Their eggs are in the incubator as I key. However I keep a pair of long handled barbecue tongs near the pens - used for getting eggs out of odd spots etc. When trying to extract eggs from the savage roosters enclosure he attacked. (He has already drawn blood.) This time with tongs in hand I instinctively grabbed his throat firmly and held on until I'd collected eggs. Since that incident I've found that as long as I have the tongs in hand he unhappily gives me wide berth. For the moment I've found a trick that works.

I wonder why they prefer houdan? how closely related is the houdan to the polish? I am still learning about these, is the crest white because they used w/c at some point?

Krista, I have 4 Mottled Houdan chicks right now. They are about 9 weeks old. I got them from a member. I can promise you eggs when they start laying.

They do look alot like Polish except for the 5th toe,and their size when mature.. I could imagine them being used to increase the size of Polish. Mine were extremely skittish in the bator/grower. Now they are in a pen with an older Polish hen, and they are not hiding from me at all. Even pecking at my clothes.

Give me a day to take some pics.

ok, I need some expertise. This is my first year with adult polish roosters and I am ready to cull one of my tolbunts. He is so mean, he chases me along the fence line when I go to see the girls and he tries to attack me throught the netting. I don't tolerate this behavior in my chickens because my kids are very involved with them. Am I limiting myself too much if I cull him? I also don't want to perpetuate this horrible behavior. I was going to breed him to my GL hens and then take the pullets from that and cross to my favorite tolbunt roo. If these were your birds and both looked equally nice, what would you do?

oh, dh thinks I should cut him some slack as he thinks the weather is affecting him, thinks the heat has driven him into overdrive
hmm.png
. To me, mean is mean...

Before you do anything, you might want to try the stalking method. I've had excellent luck with it. Get some heavy clothes on, and go out and stalk him. Just keep him moving, moving moving. Do not ever take a step back. Just go out there and stalk him for like 10 minutes once or twice a day. until he stops. I've even had my granddaughter go in and stalk a silkie roo. She ended up loving him the most. I think hitting them with something just means a challange to them, I don't do it.

Back
Top Bottom