Tolbunt Polish

Pics
Pretty! You might want to keep a male around with bigger beard/muffs though, as it looks like there might be some heterozygous gals there. Course, it is up to ones preference, but it is always nice to keep non-bearded separate from fully bearded.

Well, terrible news on my end, both my mature Tolbunt boys are gone. The frizzle and the smooth. What I'm assuming is a raccoon has been sneaking into the Polish "pen" for a couple days and stealing away and eating birds before I even put them to bed, took the smooth boy the first night then took my frizzle and a hen the second night. I've officially moved the remaining Polish out of there and into the pasture that shares with the Araucanas for now. That way they're safer (safer coop, plus a bigger population and boys who are able to protect themselves better) plus, if crossbreeding happens, I guess it's who cares. My only Polish boys right now are a Houdan cross and some cockerels not even of breeding maturity yet. :(

Wish I could trap the coons, but, still haven't gotten a trap yet nor the ability to secure the pen a little better from predator intrusion, so, I think Polish breeding in general will have to hold til next spring. Some disturbed dirt towards the most green-dense back corner of the pen shows that the coon may have dug or pushed under the fence from the most camouflaged area for best results.

That sucks!! How many tolbunts have you hatched out of them? Plus you have their split kids too!

Illia, very sorry to hear this as well........as you know, I'm only using your tolbunts for a project, you are welcome to them after I get some chicks...............I also just hatched 7 more chicks last night from Dave Schwartz eggs, 5 being tolbunts!.............................all the best!.................................chrisf

I currently have a measly 3 splits and only 5 Tolbunts or near-Tolbunt but still useable type birds right now. Oh, 6 if you count my Houdan cross cock. To top it off, a herd of elk destroyed and/or devoured a good number of my orchards/gardens/etc today.
hmm.png
Well, last night, but, I found the damage today.

I'll bounce back though. I'd love to get some stock Chris, and someone PM'ed me a while ago (sorry for the lack of reply) on some eggs, I'll take those too but not now. I'm not hatching anything now really. Probably won't till spring, if I'm lucky next month or August. I was letting some broody hens hatch several dozen out, but found their nests empty today. Haven't a clue if they suddenly decided to eat the eggs or what. Certainly a predator didn't steal them.
idunno.gif

Thanks Sarah. They are still very young and need to fill out, but I think they are coming along nicely. Between them and my young birds in the grow out pen I should have a pretty great start.

I currently have a measly 3 splits and only 5 Tolbunts or near-Tolbunt but still useable type birds right now. Oh, 6 if you count my Houdan cross cock. To top it off, a herd of elk destroyed and/or devoured a good number of my orchards/gardens/etc today.
hmm.png
Well, last night, but, I found the damage today.

I'll bounce back though. I'd love to get some stock Chris, and someone PM'ed me a while ago (sorry for the lack of reply) on some eggs, I'll take those too but not now. I'm not hatching anything now really. Probably won't till spring, if I'm lucky next month or August. I was letting some broody hens hatch several dozen out, but found their nests empty today. Haven't a clue if they suddenly decided to eat the eggs or what. Certainly a predator didn't steal them.
idunno.gif

Illia, I have a couple of pure tolbunt cockerels that I think are extra... PM me

Back
Top Bottom