Tomaru Longcrowers...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Remember I'll be glad to do a test hatch also.

My first Longcrower Longtail hatched today!!! They are pure Tomaru cock over a Tomaru hen, Sumatra/Denizli hens,Sumatra/Denizli/Tomaru hens and (rc) Phoenix/Denizili hens. Seven more of them waiting to be hatched!!!

Quote:

I have some Tomaru. To anyone who is raising their first longcrowers .... when the young birds start to crow, do not panic if the first crows are not really long. The birds should grow until they are over a year and a half old, and so should the crow. The length of crow should top out at 2 or 3 years. But even the first little cockerel crows will be markedly longer than any regular old (inferior) chicken.

Most of my longcrowers are just that; Longcrowers, not pure Tomaru. I have a pure Tomaru rooster over a group of hens which are either 1/2 or 3/4 Tomaru, with the rest being Denizli and/or Sumatra. I also have a line that is rose combed. ( I am working on cushion-combed longcrowers, and should have some hatch in a week and a half.)

They are excellent layers. Some eggs are pale- almost white, and some are almost as dark as a RIR egg.

Nate - you're my 2nd test hatcher (I have 4...surely that's enough??)!!

wclawrence - I found your posts and auctions when I was first researching this breed. I have actually been VERY impressed with the length of my cockerel's crow already - these are not fancy lines or anything, just from Sandhill Preservation, so I have no high hopes that they are show quality or anything - they are "Just for fun" for me, and I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed them! Thanks for posting - I'm learning more & more about this wonderful breed!

Wynette, I don't show my birds or anything like that either. I just like the long crow. How old is your rooster now?
I like the look of the Tomaru way better than Denizli, but the Denizli are a bit bigger usually, so I crossed some of those and like what I got. I hope more people get the longcrowers, they really are a fun bird to have around. I am glad this thread is here, maybe it will prove helpful.

Nathan, how many do you have of each comb type? And what colors?

Here is a picture of my Tomaru rooster. He is the daddy of your eggs Nathan.
IMG_3215.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Wynette,

I'll take whatever I can get. You know about shipped eggs. I recieved 18 Longcrower eggs from wclawrence, 9 went into the hatcher, 7 chicks came out last Thursday. I just need some unrelated longcrowers to go with mine from wclawrence.

Quote:
Wclawrence,

He is a beautiful cock!!! It looks like I have 6 blacks and 1 wild type. I didn't look at all of their combs but I did see a bunch of straight combs. Thank you very much.
big_smile.png

I got me a pr of birds over the weekend. I went to the Mt Hope auction on friday and they had 6 prs there, I got the frist pr, I ran the 2nd pr up then when I was looking around on the other side I found 4 more prs. I was kicking myself for not seeing them before they were sold. I pd a good bit for my pr. I was wanting to bid on some other stuff or I would have gotten the other pr. I ended up not getting anything else and then was kicking myself for not getting the 2nd pr.

I have a Denizli hen, what would I get if I put her with my Tomaru? She s alot smaller and she is what I call the wild type.

wclawrence - so do you have pure Tomaru, or is all your stock crossed? Not that it matters to me, I am just curious. I may to be getting some hatching eggs from you!

Your rooster is very, very pretty! I had mine in a breeder cage all through the winter, as since my trio was an unexpected gift, I just didn't have room for them in the fall, and it was too cold to build a new pen for them. But, that is underway. Anyway - the breeder cage has done a number on my cockerel's tail - it looks just awful, so I'll be happy when he can get into his own enclosure & not continue to get ratty looking! Poor boy!

I called the auction place and got the name and phone # of the person that sold the birds.

I called and talked to the lady that sold the birds and she told me that she got her start from SandHill.

Quote:
So, 92, you have the same line as I do, since mine came from Sandhill as well. I've heard good & bad on Sandhill stock, but I have to say I'm VERY pleased with my Tomaru! The cockerel's crow is much longer than I expected it would be - I just love it, and it ticks me off when someone doens't comment about it when he lets loose a long one and I have friends or guests to the barn - HA! I guess not everyone appreciates a beautiful, long crow!

To those waiting for eggs from me...we were finally able to finish their private pen this past weekend, and I moved them in Saturday morning. I haven't gotten ONE egg since I moved them. I don't know why, as they don't seem stressed at all. But apparently they are! Also, we have had nonstop rain this week and it's quite muddy in their pen. They seem to hang out more inside their coop than outside. I am out of straw to put in their run so they have a dry spot to stand on, so I'm going to put a large plastic bin in there upside down so they have something to stand on & don't need to stand in all the mud/muck. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom