Tomaru Longcrowers...

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
Anyone have them? I have a trio of Tomaru. They were gifted to me last fall - I'd always wanted some!

At first, I wasn't too enamored with them. But, the longer I've had them, the more they are growing on me. They are talkative, and seem to be happy to see me when I arrive to the barn. They have an interesting "voice" and their variations in tone of chattering is interesting and unique. They also seem to study things to try and figure it out (like how the water bottle is attached to the side of the breeder cage....and pecking & pecking at the plastic hanger thingy until they get it undone!).

They are now 23 weeks, and in the last week, they've been acting differently. I've been wondering if they're getting ready to lay, and have opened up their nest box. Sure enough, this morning for the first time, I saw the cockerel attempt to breed one of the pullets. I've searched online and have found almost nothing regarding the breed. Can anyone offer information on them? I'd love to learn more about them! Here are a few pics - very informal, not taken to show their beauty, just taken on spurs of the moment:

14 weeks:

groupshot-14wks.jpg

23 weeks - pullets dust bathing in a horse stall:

pullets-23wks.jpg

ETA: I really do need to get some better pictures, as they truly are a beautiful breed - these pics showing them all dirty sure don't do them any justice!

Last edited:
I wish I knew more about them, Wynette. I think they are fantastic.
I ALMOST bought some Denizli eggs last spring, but my husband busted me and put the kaibosh on it.
I've never seen Tomaru before-they almost look Sumatra like...kinda? Really beautiful and they sound curious and intelligent.

In the few things I've found on them, it has been commented that they should have a deep black color with deep green sheen, like a Sumatra. I do not know if they are related - hopefully I will learn more about them soon! I'm just itching to get educated about them, but as indicated, have had all sorts of trouble finding information on them. Frustrating!

Funny on the Denizlis.

I actually have wanted Longcrowers for a few years. I have 10+ acres and am zone agricultural; my barn is 300+ feet from my house, and I have a neighbor that constantly tells me that my chickens don't know when sunrise is as they crow all the time. She's a sweet lady, but it's getting annoying! I've tried to bribe her with eggs, but she's one of those types - "I could NEVER eat an egg from your farm - they are FERTILE!" Sheesh. Anyway, so this all started on a whim, but now I'm really getting attached to these guys!

Those are beautiful Wynette! I am interested in Longcrowers also,but I do not think I would dare living here. Thanks for starting this thread. Please keep us updated.
pop.gif

I have a Denzili hen, I would love to find a roo for her. I got her from here on BYC from a lady in FL. I'll have to look back and see if I can find who she was. I remember her saying she lost most of her to birds to critter/s and she had gotten eggs from a lady in TX. I hatched this hen from eggs shipped to me. We had to go thru a couple of batches of eggs to get this girl.

Ed, please post pics of your girl if you have some - if you don't, well - go take some!
big_smile.png

I found one breeder of Longcrowers in my searching, and that person is in Texas - I wonder if it's the same source?

Here is some fun news - my boy crowed this morning for the first time! Twice! I have to say...it was pitifully short, in my opinion. It just sounded like a regular crow. I have my fingers, toes....everything crossed that he'll get better at it!

What a great gift!!
thumbsup.gif

They are beautiful and I like the idea of them being chatty,. I have only heard of them and know little,. they sure look pretty iin the pics you have ,..bet they look better in sunlight. How big do they get?

Back
Top Bottom