Too many pets suffering due to economy.

1acrefarm

Songster
12 Years
Nov 3, 2007
Georgia
A real sad reality hit me yesterday. The reality is with the economy the way it is a lot of pets will suffer. I saw this beautiful pit yesterday. It was a super friendly dog. Ofcourse it being friendly and knowing the reputation of pits I did my best to keep anyone from calling animal control. The neighbor put his leash on it and we started knocking on doors asking who it belonged to. We found the owner who said he could not afford to feed the dog nor repair his fence due to unemployment. He then asked us if we knew anyone who wanted some chow/pit mix puppies. I can not afford to take on any of the dogs myself due to my hard times. I do not even like pits but it saddened me I could not take this dog on. :eek:

You are right. It is so sad and is becoming more and more common. The really sad part is that people are just dropping pets off to fend for themselves instead of making an effort to get them to an animal shelter where they can be adopted out. It seems that someone here on BYC posts daily about finding new animals (cats, dogs, rabbits, etc...) that have been dropped off at there house by a stranger. I just can't imagine doing that to one of my animals.
sad.png

It is very sad. Irresponsible owners make me so angry. Why would you not spay or neuter your pet when there are so many needing homes. All my cats & dogs are fixed (or will be soon)We just last Saturday adopted a doberman from the ASPCA. We already have an Akita, doberman, & Great Pyr puppy. My DBF tricked me into it! 2 weeks ago he rescued a pygmy goat. I know we can't save them all but I do feel better knowing the animals that "find" me have a great life & I have made a small difference.

It's also pretty sad when people won't let go when they should and end up restricting food and skimping on feed to just keep them alive rather than finding them a new home. Animals aren't cheap.

It is very sad, and with us having a full house on dogs, cats, horses and goats i feel bad to turn my back away on animals because Ihave a save all the animals I can in the world attitude.

We took in from my husbands work a beautiful long haired daushand [sp?] thought those used to be rare... or at least a weel desired dog... weird,

sad.png
I can't stand the thought of it. I know things happen but, dang it all, I think people should do the right thing for that poor animal who did not even ask for them as it's owner in the first place! An animal can't help the situation humans put them in and it's deplorable that some think of an animal as stupid and having no feelings!
rant.gif
Just makes me furious!!!!

The local shelter is not accepting anymore drop offs! They shut the door! It has been full to the max lately because the first thing to go is "luxury items" like pets...feed the kids or feed Fido? All of the volunteers have foster pets at home, but it's not enough, they keep coming! I still won't understand why you would just set a dog free??? I've had several show up at our door, then find them homes...

we have 20 dogs. Mostly puppies that we are holding on to till the economy is better. Then they will be adopted out. We reached our limit on how many we can hold onto till its better. Thats why my mom said no more animals.

this is something that I know all too much about! I work at a shelter, I have for over 6 years. I find that it doesn't always matter how much someone spent on a dog or even how rare it is, they still end up homeless. I often get tiny little cute dogs that are purebred. I have at the shelter right now a purebred yorkie and a purebred maltese. the maltese is from a breeder. I know that she is a $1,000 dog. The family divorced and lost their home.
Sometimes people have to make choices that are extremely difficult. Feed the kids or feed the pets. This past fall, we had almost 300 cats. That is the most I have ever seen at my shelter EVER. crazy.

Its sad and it amkes me so mad . My yard faces a high way . cats always seem to be dumped off or thrown out windows or somthing becasue they are always on the other side of the fence then come in my yard . I cant stand to see strays so i always take them in !!My parents get mad but i figure my parents have really good jobs and they make good money so i take in all the animals i can find and make them help pay for them . I know its not thier responsbility but its not the animals fault people cant afford them and its not fair for them to be dumped off !!! i just seen a cat that must have been dumped on the high way cuz i was walking the fence and a white cat ran from me . The next day i drove down my street and there was the cat dead in the road !!!

When people get a pet they really need to think of the long run . they need to think of everything that can happen to them like loose thier job ,loose thier house , etc and if they cant be sure that that wont happen then they shouldnt get a pet . Becasue its not fair for the pets !! SUre they think i can just bring it to the shelter BUT most pets that go to a shelter get put to sleep . The shelters post on our local craigslist please adopt or wil be put down

its just so sad that these animals have to go through this

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom