top 5 breeds of dogs

I agree with the other who say "training". Of course, some breeds are more prone to chasing. I probably wouldn't recommend a terrier. I have two border collies and a golden retriever. One of the BCs is afraid of the chickens, one is fascinated and the golden was very interested in chasing them, but a firm "NO" or "LEAVE IT!" when they tried anything worked well. Of course, my dogs already have a lot of training on them (dog training is my other main hobby), BUT, I'm still not sure I would leave my dogs alone with my chickens.

Beth

I'd say these chickens are safe with this gaurd dog.
smile.png

Luckyandchickens.jpg

Luckyaug09.jpg

Steve

Last edited:
I loved the pictures of the dogs and the birds!
I have 14 dogs and some 40 chickens which co exist. My lab Daizie keeps Buddy, the RIR roo from attacking. You just have to point at the roo for Daizie and she will jump at him and he will move away. Its important that the dogs know those are my eggs and my chickens and if they don't want me to get mad they will not bother the chickens.
One Australian 6 month old pup likes to chase a little but is finding my unhappiness more important than chicken chasing.

Quote:
I think if you get a puppy, you have the chance to mold their behaviour and view of chickens from the start, an ounce of prevention type of thing. I have had several dogs of different breeds over the years without trouble. A couple years ago we (my wife) got a 8 month old german sheperd pup who thought chickens were a hoot to chase. After a couple heart to heart talks she came to the realization that there was not a bright future in this, but I think she still watches and salivates at the thought of it. Where as the guys we raised from the start just regard them as part of the landscape.

Depending how small you are thinking of going, I highly recommend a rat terrier out of sound working stock. A gamer vermin dog you will not find, smart,quick. If you can get her to understand what it is you are trying to do, she is on it. I was having issues with english sparrows coming into the coop eating feed a while back, after shooing them out of swatting a few with a broom, Lizzy figured out the game ,and chaises them off if they come near the coop, and has even caught a few as they swoop through the chicken door. She has treed several coons, tangled with a few possums and ground hogs with backup from the guys. She is very focused if there are small varmits about, will sit by a active mole tunnel, or vole under the wood pile for hours waiting for a chance to spring into action. She is also a great house dog. The only drawback that comes to mind is being short haired she can not stay out in very cold weather for long periods.

Current pack, above mentioned rat terrier, german sheperd, and a high powered german wirehaired pointer, am considering a english sheperd in the future.

Last edited:
I agree with most of the posts about it being more dog-specific than breed guarantees. That being said, certain breeds are bred for specific behaviors. For example, it would be courting trouble to try with a terrier breed, who specifically catch and kill small things. Of course, not ALL terriers will kill chickens, but still....

ALSO - If you are considering a livestock guardian breed (Anatolians, Pyrenees, etc.) - I highly recommend contacting the rescue groups. They try to foster their dogs with people that will expose them to kids, cats, some livestock if possible, other dogs, etc. and WILL tell you what they know. If you are honest with them about what you need and willing to work with their advice about a match, it would be a great option. They also have agreements about taking care of re-homing if a dog should not work out.

I've got three rescues: an Anatolian, an Anatolian mix and a German Shepherd. I had them long before the chickens were a consideration, and I don't trust them with the chix (one of the dog has killed 2 possums, a squirrel and 6-10 rats in the past few years, so I KNOW she's not going to get near them). But I didn't make that part of my request.

Last edited:
I have a German Shepherd and a Boxer Mix. Both are good. The German Shepherd is from the line of herders. There are 2 types of Shepherds: Police and herders. I have had both. The old herding lines make good farm dogs. They don't nip like other herding dogs. They get the herd to move by charging and barking. The GS we have now is of the herder line.The only thing mine has tried is herding them back to the pen are night. She does it gently, but we have not encouraged it. When she tried, we told her "no" and she stopped.

The Boxer mix is completely uninterested in the chickens.

I agree with what some have posted..it depends on the dog.

I have to agree that training and socialization is MOST important. I purchased an Alaskan Malamute 8 years ago, well before I got into chickens and I never thought the two would co-exsist. (Malamutes have a high prey drive, and are generally not considered good around smaller animals, or any animals really!) BUT, I invested in very strict (professional) training when she was 8 weeks old. Best money I ever spent.

Now she is able to weather cold winters in the barn protecting the animals that live within. She free ranges with the chickens every day, even when I'm not home. The chickens will even swipe bites of her food! A couple of years ago I had two coyotes attack me and her going out to the coop near midnight (I work a late shift). She not only protected us for the moment but she took off after them and chased them down. I don't carry a gun normally to the barns and coops because I KNOW she is there. Thats peace of mind.

BUT I will say this.....some breeds are predisposed to certain things and it is HARD, HARD to train instinct out all the way so its best to pick breeds that do not have high prey drives
smile.png

Good luck to you, its hard to get attached to anything and have to re-home!

Here is Ryouko (little dragon)-
45838_100_2896.jpg

Quote:
I agree! My yellow lab has never tried to hurt any of my chickens! He loves being around them (maybe is a little spooked by them if anything) and I can trust him when I go int the coop to leave him in the pen. One time I had to run inside to the house to get something and left my lab, Buddy, outside. (Not in the pen with the girls) When I came back, Buddy was sitting outside of their pen, standing watch. I have heard, this is just what I've heard, that yellow labs are the mellowest but I think it really depends on how you raise them. Buddy was about 5 when we got our girls as baby chicks. And trust me, Buddy is PSYCHO! But, he has never tried to hurt or "play rough" with my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom