Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

That makes sense.

I'm hesitant to use dairy on my birds, since they aren't mammals and lack the enzymes and all that. That's just my camp, though. :)

MrsB

Chickens have benefited from milk proteins in diets for many years, study after study.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/li...ltry/poultry-rations-and-feeding-methods.html
"Skimmilk and Buttermilk are Excellent for all Classes of Poultry but especially valuable for young chicks, laying hens and fattening birds. Milk supplies the vitamin riboflavin which is indispensible to high hatching quality in eggs. As a desirable protein supplement, milk undoubtedly heads the list."

Milk replacers are sometimes used to prevent outbreaks of enteritis. The key to using milk products is not overdoing it.

Chickens have benefited from milk proteins in diets for many years, study after study.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/li...ltry/poultry-rations-and-feeding-methods.html
"Skimmilk and Buttermilk are Excellent for all Classes of Poultry but especially valuable for young chicks, laying hens and fattening birds. Milk supplies the vitamin riboflavin which is indispensible to high hatching quality in eggs. As a desirable protein supplement, milk undoubtedly heads the list."

Milk replacers are sometimes used to prevent outbreaks of enteritis. The key to using milk products is not overdoing it.
I have chicks that will be hatching in a few days, so I can give them a small amount of butter milk ? My chickens love yogurt also, I never give them much but they sure do like it.

The Safeguard mash seems to get the job done. They aren't crazy about eating it, but they will when it's all that's out there. Found several dead roundworms on the droppings board this morning.

Glad it's working for you!

-Kathy
Me, too.Thanks for doing the math for me. I'm sure those worms weren't making the chickens feel great. People like to buy my eggs, and I have fears of someone finding a roundworm in one. My next step after the worming is to find a way to rid them of this chronic respiratory infection they have. Wanted to avoid antibiotics if I could, but I think I'm gonna need them.

I have chicks that will be hatching in a few days, so I can give them a small amount of butter milk ? My chickens love yogurt also, I never give them much but they sure do like it.

I never give any buttermilk to young birds until they are at least 5 weeks old and familiar with a balanced starter ration. Wetting a pound of feed with an ounce or two of lowfat buttermilk is alright once a week. You have to be careful about supplements and calcium content with growing chicks. Bone deformation and kidney damage can result. Whey is included in a probiotic dispersible powder branded Probios. It is an excellent product I use for chicks and adults.

Last edited:
I never give any buttermilk to young birds until they are at least 5 weeks old and familiar with a balanced starter ration. Wetting a pound of feed with an ounce or two of lowfat buttermilk is alright once a week. You have to be careful about supplements and calcium content with growing chicks. Bone deformation and kidney damage can result. Whey is included in a probiotic dispersible powder branded Probios. It is an excellent product I use for chicks and adults.
Thanks for info, I have a Bird Powder that also contains dried Whey I hadn't ever given it to new hatches before I usually use it after worming. So this you use is called Probios? I'll check into it.

Back
Top Bottom