Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

My chickens get enough clay in soil around here. Probiotics, supplements which cleanse and support the liver and immune system, and a quality diet are more important in my opinion. My birds have lots of room and plenty of earth. I see DE as totally obsolete when it comes to chickens.
I did use DE on some muddy places my ducks made just to finish using it up. lol

This is apparently a tapeworm that came out of an egg... form this thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/440277/the-middle-tennessee-thread/16380
I can see how it could happen, but has any one else seen or heard of this? Is that a tape worm?
Google pic of tape worm

I have seen tape worms in person :sick I'm not sure what's in the egg is one...

Last edited:
It's not a tapeworm. It's even very rare that a large roundworm can be found in an egg. The worm has to migrate from the cloaca up the oviduct to a position anterior to the isthmus of the oviduct. It would then be incorporated in the albumen. See pics.
As for tapeworms, the scolex is buried into the intestinal lining. This is why they are very difficult to kill requiring higher doses of certain wormers just to dislodge them. I've personally dealt with tapeworms in chickens enough to know.
Here's a link to weird eggs with pics showing similar photos of chalaza that could be easily mistaken as tapeworms:
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/WeirdEggs/WeirdEggs.html

:

Doesn't look like a Chalaza to me. Looks like a long tape worm. Has the ribs that I've seen on tape worms too.

Okay, I thought the blue background picture was what came out of the egg. That is a stock photo I guess of an actual tape worm. Yes, I agree with dawg now. My bad.

Sorry should have labeled the stock photo. I've seen tape worms and others, in person and the chalaza in the egg was too dark for me to think tape worm... Or any intestinal worm... I figured some one in this thread would know though...

Back
Top Bottom