Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

I am reading the dosage panel on my Safeguard (for Goats) bottle.

Body Weight Amount
25 lb .6 ml
50 lb 1.2 ml
75 lb 1.7 ml
100 lb 2.3 ml
125 lb 2.9 ml

On a dosage syringe cc and/or ml are the same.

Originally Posted by casportpony

The amount I use to treat the most worms possible is 0.5 cc per 2.2 pounds by mouth for five consecutive days. This will treat roundworms, cecal worms, gape worms, capillary worms and it *might* treat some species of tapeworms.

If treating for just roundworms and cecal worms I use the same amount, but for just one day instead of five. This one I repeat in ten days.

Jersey Giant Hen - 2.3cc
Rhode Island Red Hen - 1.5cc
Cochin Bantam - 0.5cc
Small Old English Game Bantam - 0.25cc

The amount I aim for is about 0.23 cc per pound.

-Kathy

If .6 cc/ml will treat a 25 pound goat, isn't 2.3 cc, which is the recommended dose for a 100 pound animal, way too excessive for a chicken? Did you mean .05 cc per 2.2 pounds? Were you referring to Valbazen dosage, not Safeguard (for Goats)?

No. It's all about the chickens metabolism. Their system breaks down feed and liquids absorbing nutrients and minerals much much quicker than mammals. ALOT is excreted as waste, including wormers. Higher safeguard wormer doses and longer dosing days are required in order for the wormer to be effectively absorbed into the bloodstream....and it's very effective.

Last edited:
I am reading the dosage panel on my Safeguard (for Goats) bottle.

Body Weight Amount
25 lb .6 ml
50 lb 1.2 ml
75 lb 1.7 ml
100 lb 2.3 ml
125 lb 2.9 ml

On a dosage syringe cc and/or ml are the same.

Originally Posted by casportpony

The amount I use to treat the most worms possible is 0.5 cc per 2.2 pounds by mouth for five consecutive days. This will treat roundworms, cecal worms, gape worms, capillary worms and it *might* treat some species of tapeworms.

If treating for just roundworms and cecal worms I use the same amount, but for just one day instead of five. This one I repeat in ten days.

Jersey Giant Hen - 2.3cc
Rhode Island Red Hen - 1.5cc
Cochin Bantam - 0.5cc
Small Old English Game Bantam - 0.25cc

The amount I aim for is about 0.23 cc per pound.

-Kathy

If .6 cc/ml will treat a 25 pound goat, isn't 2.3 cc, which is the recommended dose for a 100 pound animal, way too excessive for a chicken? Did you mean .05 cc per 2.2 pounds? Were you referring to Valbazen dosage, not Safeguard (for Goats)?

Goats, cows and horses get much less per pound than birds cats and dogs:
Pictures below from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook - 7th Edition

The doses I use have been recommended by veterinarians.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:
What about Valbazen liquid do you go by same measurements as the safe guard? and same length of days? last timeIi used safe Guard I put it into their feed for 5 days according to directions but since it was the 3rd time I had used SG I bought Valbazen this time. [Having 31 in my flock it is much easier just to do it all at once in their feed for 5 days.]
Thanks

What about Valbazen liquid do you go by same measurements as the safe guard? and same length of days? last timeIi used safe Guard I put it into their feed for 5 days according to directions but since it was the 3rd time I had used SG I bought Valbazen this time. [Having 31 in my flock it is much easier just to do it all at once in their feed for 5 days.]
Thanks
Dose for Valbazen (albendazole 113.6mg/ml) is 0.08ml per pound (20mg/kg) for one day and repeat in ten days. This dose will treat roundworms, cecal worms a large percentage of capillary worms, *maybe* some species of tapes, but it will not treat gapeworms, though I wouldn't worry about those.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thank you Kathy. That explains it perfectly. While I am aware that different animals metabolize different medications at different rates sometimes, and dosages have to be adjusted to allow for it, that still seemed to be overkill, however, I didn't have all the facts, which you have so kindly supplied. Thank you, and to Dawg as well for your contributions on this subject. Yes, there is a lot of misinformation out there, but thanks to you guys, at least one more flock will be properly wormed, and healthier because of it.

Thank you Kathy. That explains it perfectly. While I am aware that different animals metabolize different medications at different rates sometimes, and dosages have to be adjusted to allow for it, that still seemed to be overkill, however, I didn't have all the facts, which you have so kindly supplied. Thank you, and to Dawg as well for your contributions on this subject. Yes, there is a lot of misinformation out there, but thanks to you guys, at least one more flock will be properly wormed, and healthier because of it.
You're welcome... I was quite surprised when I bought that book and saw the dosage differences between species. Amoxicillin is one that really made me look twice, it's way more than the cat dose, it's 125mg/kg *twice* a day!

-Kathy

You're welcome... I was quite surprised when I bought that book and saw the dosage differences between species. Amoxicillin is one that really made me look twice, it's way more than the cat dose, it's 125mg/kg *twice* a day!

-Kathy

kg and mg are weight measurements, ml is liquid volume. So how can one convert kg into ml?

-Kathy

kg and mg are weight measurements, ml is liquid volume. So how can one convert kg into ml?

1kg of water is 1,000,000 ml, but I don't think that's what you mean.

Give me an example of a medication you might want to use and I'll show you a formula for figuring out the dose.

-Kathy

1kg of water is 1,000,000 ml, but I don't think that's what you mean.

Give me an example of a medication you might want to use and I'll show you a formula for figuring out the dose.

-Kathy

Not trying to do a conversion. Just stating a fact. It is hard to convert a weight into a volume (liquid). kg and mg are measures of weight. Liquid medications are usually administered by ml (volume), not by weight. The pages you posted from the book indicate weight but the medicine doses being posted here on BYC is being given by volume (ml).

Last edited:
One ml of Valbazen has 113.6mg of albendazole
One ml of Safeguard has 100mg of fenbendazole
One ml of ivermectin paste has 18.7mg ivermectin
One ml of Safeguard paste has 100mg of fenbendazole
One ml of Corid liquid has 96mg amprolium
One ml of Wazine has 17mg of piperazine
One ml of invermectin injectable has 10mg ivermectin
One ml of ivermectin pour on has 5mg ivermectin.

To calculate the dose is *dead* simple if you know the proper dose for the species and the what the animal weighs.

I will use ivermectin injectable and a 10 pound bird as an example.

Weight of bird pounds (10), divided by 2.2 to convert to kg, times the recommended dose of 0.2mg per 1kg of bird weight (0.2mg/kg), divided by the number mg per one ml (10).

10 / 2.2 x 0.2 /10 = 0.09ml of the injectable ivermectin for a 10 pound bird.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom