Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

Sorry to confuse you Patti. Tapeworms are difficult to get rid of in chickens. There's not that many wormers that will treat them. You'll see rice-like segments in feces, a sign of tapeworms. Valbazen will kill them, but requires a different protocol to get rid of them. I've dealt with tapeworms.
When there's no sign of tapeworm segments, I give my standard size birds 1/2cc orally undiluted and redose the same amount 10 days later. No problem.

And Dawg's 1/2cc dose for a standard size bird works out to ~20mg/kg, which is 0.08ml per pound. Your ducks and geese will need more than 1/2cc, but you already know that, lol.
big_smile.png

-Kathy
Okay thanks to you both it can get a bit confusing and I've been doing this for years, finally got the safe guard down now changing to a different wormer, appreciate having experts to help us through this.

Awesome thread! I just read through all 19 pages, and wanted to make sure I'm understanding what I need to do correctly.

2 weeks ago, I found a round worm in one of my 4month old chickens poop, so I did Wazine in their water for a whole day, and today (14 days later) I started treating each with .5ml Fenbendazole squirted onto a piece of bread. I was planning on 3 days. So my question after reading this whole thread is:

A) do I need to tread for 5 days instead of 3 and
B) do I need to treat with a second round of fenbendazole in 10 days, or am I good this go-around because of the wazine first?

Thank you! It's because of threads like this that I am learning so much!

Last edited:
Awesome thread! I just read through all 19 pages, and wanted to make sure I'm understanding what I need to do correctly.

2 weeks ago, I found a round worm in one of my 4month old chickens poop, so I did Wazine in their water for a whole day, and today (14 days later) I started treating each with .5ml Fenbendazole squirted onto a piece of bread. I was planning on 3 days. So my question after reading this whole thread is:

A) do I need to tread for 5 days instead of 3 and
B) do I need to treat with a second round of fenbendazole in 10 days, or am I good this go-around because of the wazine first?

Thank you! It's because of threads like this that I am learning so much!

A. Do 5 days instead of 3 days. It's possible capillary worms could be present and they are practically invisible to the naked eye. Five days
treatment will take care of them.
B. No need to redose in 10 days, five days in a row is enough.
When you worm you birds in the future, (depending on your soil conditions) skip the wazine and just use the safeguard and rotate later
down the road with valbazen.

A. Do 5 days instead of 3 days. It's possible capillary worms could be present and they are practically invisible to the naked eye. Five days
treatment will take care of them.
When you worm you birds in the future, (depending on your soil conditions) skip the wazine and just use the safeguard and rotate later
How often should we rotate wormers?

I second that, dawg. Rotate your dewormers people! Don't leave the rest of us wondering why safeguard no longer kills capillaria! Also, it behooves every one of us to learn to do a fecal flotation- they're cheap and easy.

Personally, I rotate every 3 months. It's up to you.
Thank you so since I'm using valbazen this next worming and I worm 3x a year I would use Safe guard in the summer and end up with Valbazen in the fall. I use to wait till I saw round worms but since I know my chickens get them anyway[always have] I just go ahead and worm.

Am I correct in understanding that next time, it will just be 5 days Valbazen, then time after that 5 days safeguard, etc., rotating every few months, (not saying do one, followed immediately by the other - I mean 6 months inbetween) and with doing 5 days, I don't ever have to re-dose 2 weeks later?

Your expertise has been invaluable!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom