Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

I just KNEW there was a reason I don't eat sushi!
lol.png

I hope everyone looks at that clip. Thank you so much for posting that for us. There are several people at work that always go out for sushi on payday. I can hardly wait to get to work to show them their new little buddy!

I am safe because my Moma taught me to cook meat before I eat it.

Haha! The person who originally posted that just halted a bunch of business for those sushi bars. That little nematode was hamming it up for the camera.

Everything is a host for worms practically. If your chickens walk on dirt, they have worms. Most chicken owners don't lose any sleep over worm sources. Good husbandry is your best defense, clean, dry coops, good ventilation, quality feed and clean water will make for healty happy hens. When a worm problem does pop up, timely treatment with an appropriate wormer will keep you and your hens happy!

O.K., thanks for the tips. Guess I womt worry about giving them crickets, etc.

Quote: Chickens are going to eat insects, that's what they do. Not all insects are infected with worm eggs. Chickens will get infected with large roundworms much sooner than any other type of worm. Large roundworms do the most internal damage early on in the chickens life, from about 8 weeks old (if on soil) up to about 4-5 months old. Large roundworm eggs are picked up directly from the soil, not from insects. Again, google the roundworms lifecycle.
Nematodes are everywhere in the soil and grass. Some people dont believe this nor do they believe their chickens can get worms. Maybe they fell asleep in science class, just dont care or have tunnel vision. Prevention is key by keeping everything as dry as possible and picking up poop. Putting sand in the pen/run 5-6 inches deep helps keep everything dry and wont wash away like dirt, it dries quicker also...like at the beach. One roundworm lays thousands of eggs a day onto the soil, and other birds will pick them up completing the worms lifecycle. Worming frequently will put an end to the worms egg laying, ending the worms lifecycle. A misconception is that chickens can tolerate a few worms. Remember, each worm lays thousands of eggs a day, one worm is one worm too many...not to mention the damage they do internally.
People can pick up hookworms by going barefooted, pinworms from biting fingernails etc...other types of worms from ingesting not properly cooked foods etc etc etc....

Chickens are going to eat insects, that's what they do. Not all insects are infected with worm eggs. Chickens will get infected with large roundworms much sooner than any other type of worm. Large roundworms do the most internal damage early on in the chickens life, from about 8 weeks old (if on soil) up to about 4-5 months old. Large roundworm eggs are picked up directly from the soil, not from insects. Again, google the roundworms lifecycle.
Nematodes are everywhere in the soil and grass. Some people dont believe this nor do they believe their chickens can get worms. Maybe they fell asleep in science class, just dont care or have tunnel vision. Prevention is key by keeping everything as dry as possible and picking up poop. Putting sand in the pen/run 5-6 inches deep helps keep everything dry and wont wash away like dirt, it dries quicker also...like at the beach. One roundworm lays thousands of eggs a day onto the soil, and other birds will pick them up completing the worms lifecycle. Worming frequently will put an end to the worms egg laying, ending the worms lifecycle. A misconception is that chickens can tolerate a few worms. Remember, each worm lays thousands of eggs a day, one worm is one worm too many...not to mention the damage they do internally.
People can pick up hookworms by going barefooted, pinworms from biting fingernails etc...other types of worms from ingesting not properly cooked foods etc etc etc....

Thanks, I will google the lifecycle of roundworms. At what age should chickens get meds for worms? I seem to recall that here in the U.S. you can get worming meds at feed stores?

Back
Top Bottom