Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

How do you know you need to deworm your birds??

Your soil determines when and how often you should worm your birds. Warm moist or wet soil requires frequent wormings. Soil that is cool/cold, rocky or hot dry desertlike may require less frequent wormings. Birds kept on the same soil should be wormed on a regular basis. Birds infested with worms are lethargic, eat/drink little or not at all, no egg laying, unthrifty, and can have pale combs. When you see these signs, internal damage has already occured and it's possible the bird may be on her way out. It's best to set up a regular worming schedule according to your soil conditions as you see fit for your area where you live. Worms weaken a chickens immune system which opens the door to many types of diseases....worms being the root cause.

we have fairly moist conditions, especially in spring. Northeast mass.

I live in northeast Florida. We get alot of rain and our soil is warm most of the year. I worm my birds once every 3 months at a minimum, sometimes sooner. I mainly use valbazen and safeguard liquid goat wormer, and have used pyrantel pamoate and wazine infrequently. If my birds get tapeworms, I use zimectrin gold.
It's best to worm birds just prior to spring time egg production. You dont want to be tossing eggs in the garbage due to wormer withdrawal periods.
If your birds are penned and not free ranged, consider worming them every 4-5 months, otherwise start out at twice a year, then go from there.

I live in northeast Florida. We get alot of rain and our soil is warm most of the year. I worm my birds once every 3 months at a minimum, sometimes sooner. I mainly use valbazen and safeguard liquid goat wormer, and have used pyrantel pamoate and wazine infrequently. If my birds get tapeworms, I use zimectrin gold.
It's best to worm birds just prior to spring time egg production. You dont want to be tossing eggs in the garbage due to wormer withdrawal periods.
If your birds are penned and not free ranged, consider worming them every 4-5 months, otherwise start out at twice a year, then go from there.

So I'm not sure which of those treatments would be best to start with?? I have a beautiful fat barred rock who is usually a great layer and hasn't layed since February or so. She looks eats and drinks very healthy. Maybe worms? I just don't look at them and think they look unhealthy at all. I don't want to give them poison that may be harmful if it's not necessary. Thoughts?

Quote:
As you know, chickens are experts at hiding health problems as not to be eaten by predators...instinct for survival. By the time we see symptoms of whatever the problem is, it requires treatment. Otherwise the chickens health will deteriorate and/or will have to be culled to protect flockmates.
If you are reluctant to use a wormer, at least put fresh fecal samples in a ziplock bag and take it to a vet and have them checked for internal parasites.

Back
Top Bottom