Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

Last edited:
What about not worming unless you see it in their stool? Honestly this is so disgusting it is turning me off from raising chickens. And I really enjoy it otherwise. Can't handle helminths. Can they pass to humans through all the bird droppings in my yard?!

What about not worming unless you see it in their stool? Honestly this is so disgusting it is turning me off from raising chickens. And I really enjoy it otherwise. Can't handle helminths. Can they pass to humans through all the bird droppings in my yard?!
This is a cecal worm:
LL

Other worm like things are undigested bits of plant material. Cecal worms are very small so you probably won't ever seen them.

-Kathy

Roundworms *are* large enough to see, but just because you don't see them, doesn't mean your bird doesn't have them:

-Kathy

When you see worms in feces, internal damage has already been done. It also means that there's an infestation and there's no other place to go but out the rear end. Poultry worms are host specific. Humans have their own worms. An exception would be hookworms. IF your birds are somehow infected with hookworms, dont go barefooted.

Last edited:
@jennykpna , if you do decide to get the Valbazen, ignore the dosing directions on the bottle, 'cause they're for sheep/cattle who get less per pound than poultry. If you follow the dosing directions on the bottle you will under-dose your birds. Correct dose for poultry is no less than 0.08ml per pound, which is about 0.5ml (1/2 cc) for a six pound Rhode Island Red hen.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom