Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

What about not worming unless you see it in their stool? Honestly this is so disgusting it is turning me off from raising chickens. And I really enjoy it otherwise. Can't handle helminths. Can they pass to humans through all the bird droppings in my yard?!

Intestinal worms are generally species specific, and intestinal worms that infect chickens are not transferable to humans or dogs. You say you can't handle it, so what do you do if your dog or cat or child gets worms? Hold your hands up and surrender? This is nature in our material world, and those living things in nature that seek to kill you or your animals need to be combated. See it as a perpetual war of sorts, and you are the one who wants to conquer.
lol.png

Intestinal worms are generally species specific, and intestinal worms that infect chickens are not transferable to humans or dogs. You say you can't handle it, so what do you do if your dog or cat or child gets worms? Hold your hands up and surrender? This is nature in our material world, and those living things in nature that seek to kill you or your animals need to be combated. See it as a perpetual war of sorts, and you are the one who wants to conquer.
:lol:

Lol@Michael Apple, ok then, if it's war I must win! Good point. No dogs or cats but if worms infected me or my children they would get a whooping with antihelmintics so I guess I should do the same for the chickens. I just haven't seen any of the reported signs of infection except one girl not laying for a few months.

Lol@Michael Apple , ok then, if it's war I must win! Good point. No dogs or cats but if worms infected me or my children they would get a whooping with antihelmintics so I guess I should do the same for the chickens. I just haven't seen any of the reported signs of infection except one girl not laying for a few months.

That's good. The thing about chickens is they are stoic like many animals. Often, when symptoms become severe, an infection has existed for awhile. There could be a number of reasons one hen isn't laying while the rest are. Supplementing nutrition is always a good first step, but underweight hens, hens eating more than usual, foamy droppings and diarrhea that become common, are obvious early signs of intestinal problems, worms and coccidia being the most common.

I firm up loose droppings pretty quick with a couple days of Probios and vitamin-electrolyte powder in water in most cases. I won't use junk feed and remain picky about feed formulations ( I choose organic from a particular local mill). If that doesn't work in couple days, generally treating for Coccidiosis, worms is the next step. Generally, I will be sure to deworm before breeding season and before moult. That's only twice a year. Many people expect to see intestinal worms in droppings as a revelation, but many types are not visible without a magnifying glass in sunlight such as capillary sp. and cecal worms before reaching maturity.

Of course, keeping grass cut around range and pen areas, avoiding that goofy deep litter method (I don't want to change my litter for 6 months or a year, so I let it build up to attract more vectors because I want to be perceived as Mr. Natural or Captain Ecology, running around naked and eating quinoa ), feeding birds in troughs instead of spreading feed on dirt, well draining soil (amending sand and oyster shell flour into soil helps), cleaning up rodent or bird carcasses on range (I have crows, jays, and cats that kill other birds/rodents and leave body parts occasionally out on range. I get rid of them if I see them to keep my birds from snacking on them when ranging), are all good preventative methods.

Birds will eat snakes, bugs, worms, snails, and slugs, and that is the way it is since we don't keep them in our homes or in a lab. We can keep an eye on their health though, and treat accordingly if we take preventative measures or catch symptoms early enough to prevent mortality. Chickens are lots of work, but certainly worth it to me. I may get older and have fewer chickens, but I'll always have them if I can take care of them.

Last edited:
My guinea fowl suffered this way.I've been deworm by piperazine without sucsess yesterday i decided to take one to see what is inside this is what I saw,we face this problem following lack of reliable supplierof medicine

My guinea fowl suffered this way.I've been deworm by piperazine without sucsess yesterday i decided to take one to see what is inside this is what I saw,we face this problem following lack of reliable supplierof medicine

Hopefully not all your guinea fowl have such a horrible worm infestation like the one you slaughtered. Piperazine works if you start using it early when your fowl are 8 to 10 weeks old, then worm monthly. Unfortunately using piperazine monthly will cause worm resistance within a one years time frame. Too bad there are no other types of wormers available to you so that you could rotate the wormers. Perhaps you can try and get Flubenvet if it's possible and rotate it with the piperazine.
Using piperazine on fowl infested with large roundworms like the one in the photo you provided simply wont work. The amount or roundworms killed off by the piperazine clogs the intestines and the dying worms release toxins which wouldve killed your guinea fowl anyway. This is why worming must be started early on in their lives.
Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom