Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

To prevent the hens eating a lot of DE you provide it in a container alone. The animals eat the mineral they need, is a selective ingestion as when you prefer salad or sweet, is a intrinsic behaviour we cant understand. DE is abrasive on worms surface although wet. DE hurt this surface and bacterias make the final work.

To prevent the hens eating a lot of DE you provide it in a container alone. The animals eat the mineral they need, is a selective ingestion as when you prefer salad or sweet, is a intrinsic behaviour we cant understand. DE is abrasive on worms surface although wet. DE hurt this surface and bacterias make the final work.
Can you elaborate on this. So you offer diametecious earth to the chickens because it helps deworm?

DE is not an effective wormer.

@jennykpna , I wormed my flock with the Valbazen... The next morning, I found THIS....

Round worms!!!
sickbyc.gif

Poor bird needed some help, for sure! I will do the second round on Thursday, just in case any one had tapes or anything.

People who "worm" with DE are always so confused when their birds start to die. :( Don't put yourself or your flock through that. Use a real wormer.

MrsB

Last edited:
DE is not an effective wormer.

@jennykpna , I wormed my flock with the Valbazen... The next morning, I found THIS....

Round worms!!!
sickbyc.gif

Poor bird needed some help, for sure! I will do the second round on Thursday, just in case any one had tapes or anything.

People who "worm" with DE are always so confused when their birds start to die. :( Don't put yourself or your flock through that. Use a real wormer.

MrsB
http://www.sistemasagroecologicos.co/art2/2 Articulo_revista[2]diatomea def..pdf
Translate this scientific article and learn something about DE.

http://www.sistemasagroecologicos.co/art2/2 Articulo_revista[2]diatomea def..pdf
Translate this scientific article and learn something about DE.

Have you translated any of the articles in this 41 page thread?

Or how about this one?

"Diatomaceous earth (DE) is touted as an anthelmintic, but various studies have failed to prove its efficacy as an anthelmintic. DE is composed primarily of silica (the main component of glass). Their [sic] is some evidence that it might be abrasive to the integument of worms in the digestive tract."

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/anthelminticswork.html

The amount of organophosphate that you would get in the eggs and meat of a chicken wormed with Valbazen, for example, is so miniscule that I'm not sure it would hurt you. Someone did the math and it's something like less than one-tenth of a percent that gets in the eggs. I still honor the withdrawal period, and therefor avoid that mess altogether.

But going around saying that DE is an effective wormer is doing harm to those who genuinely want to do the best they can by their chickens... And after doing research and seeing that there is ZERO EVIDENCE (as stated NUMEROUS times and backed up by several scientific studies in this thread) that DE is at all effective, continuing to spread that vicious misinformation is mean, cruel, and dishonest.

Please, by all means continue to use it in your own flock if you wish, but don't tell others that it will worm their chickens effectively. It simply doesn't.

MrsB

Edit to add: The reason for withdrawal periods is due to intra-species use of wormers not specifically designed for them. For example, Valbazen is for goats... not chickens. With the correct dosage, it is SUPER effective against all internal parasites known to chickendom, but since it's not FOR them, there is an advised withdrawal time, since it can get in the eggs... And some people are sensitive to the resulting chemical residue. There are many people on BYC who ignore the withdrawal time with no ill effects. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom