Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

Have you translated any of the articles in this 41 page thread?

Or how about this one?

"Diatomaceous earth (DE) is touted as an anthelmintic, but various studies have failed to prove its efficacy as an anthelmintic. DE is composed primarily of silica (the main component of glass). Their [sic] is some evidence that it might be abrasive to the integument of worms in the digestive tract."

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/anthelminticswork.html

The amount of organophosphate that you would get in the eggs and meat of a chicken wormed with Valbazen, for example, is so miniscule that I'm not sure it would hurt you. Someone did the math and it's something like less than one-tenth of a percent that gets in the eggs. I still honor the withdrawal period, and therefor avoid that mess altogether.

But going around saying that DE is an effective wormer is doing harm to those who genuinely want to do the best they can by their chickens... And after doing research and seeing that there is ZERO EVIDENCE (as stated NUMEROUS times and backed up by several scientific studies in this thread) that DE is at all effective, continuing to spread that vicious misinformation is mean, cruel, and dishonest.

Please, by all means continue to use it in your own flock if you wish, but don't tell others that it will worm their chickens effectively. It simply doesn't.

MrsB
As a vet I must fight everyday against the irresponsible and non-controlled use of chemical dangerous products, the quantity of Valbazen in a egg maybe is so minuscle, but you known people eat 2-3 eggs a week, calculate in 5 years. Please, eat your Valbazen eggs and enjoy them. But your eggs are not healthy, believe me.

I appreciate your crusade. Truly, I do.

But since the Valbazen has a 14-day withdrawal period, and people do not worm every single day, over the course of 5 years, according to your calculations and assuming someone worms twice a year, they *might* eat a dozen Valbazen-y eggs per year (IF they ignore the withdrawal period).

Chemical, dangerous products? You mean like all the prescription medications put out by pharmaceutical companies designed for HUMANS that get recalled more often than not due to wicked side effects?

Not to get off topic, but using 1/2cc for a standard chicken to fix worms every six months is hardly "dangerous"... unless you have a specific, super-sensitivity to organophosphates and, once again, IGNORE the withdrawal period.

And with the LACK of qualified avian vets that see CHICKENS (as opposed to parrots and the like), sometimes, as "irresponsible" flock owners, we must turn to "chemical, dangerous products" to prevent parasitic load and subsequent illness and death.

Or we can lock our chickens in concrete, metal, sterile environments and never let them play in the dirt.

I'm unsure which is worse.

PS - DE is *still* an ineffective wormer, no matter how much you want to rail against chemical wormers.

Have a great day!

MrsB

Last edited:
DE is not an effective wormer.

@jennykpna , I wormed my flock with the Valbazen... The next morning, I found THIS....

Round worms!!!
sickbyc.gif

Poor bird needed some help, for sure! I will do the second round on Thursday, just in case any one had tapes or anything.

People who "worm" with DE are always so confused when their birds start to die. :( Don't put yourself or your flock through that. Use a real wormer.

MrsB
Vavazen is not authoriced in poultry, and about albendazol have a look:authoriced
ALBENDAZOL no debe usarse en niños menores de un año.
PRECAUCIONES GENERALES: Los pacientes que están siendo tratados para neurocisticercosis deben recibir la terapia anticonvulsiva y de esteroides adecuada a las necesidades. Se deben considerar los corticosteroides orales o intravenosos para prevenir episodios hipertensivos cerebrales durante la primera semana de tratamiento anticisticercosis.
La cisticercosis puede, en raras ocasiones, involucrar a la retina. Si se visualizan las lesiones, la terapia en contra del cisticerco se debe valorar en contra de la posibilidad de daños a la retina, debido a la administración de ALBENDAZOL en la lesión de la retina.
RESTRICCIONES DE USO DURANTE EL EMBARAZO Y LA LACTANCIA:
Categoría de riesgo X:
Se ha demostrado que ALBENDAZOL es teratogénico (causa embriotoxicidad y malformaciones óseas) en ratas y ratones preñados.
Se observó respuesta teratogénica en ratas que recibieron dosis orales de 10 y 30 mg/kg/día (0.10 veces y 0.32 veces la dosis recomendada para humanos, con base en el área de superficie corporal en mg/m2, respectivamente) y en conejas preñadas que recibieron dosis orales de 30 mg/kg/día (0.60 veces la dosis recomendada para humanos, con base en el área de superficie corporal en mg/m2).
No se han realizado estudios adecuados y bien controlados de la administración de ALBENDAZOL en mujeres embarazadas.
ALBENDAZOL se debe usar durante el embarazo únicamente si el posible beneficio justifica el riesgo potencial para el feto.
ALBENDAZOL se excreta en la leche de los animales. No se sabe si ALBENDAZOL se excreta en la leche humana.
Como muchos fármacos que se excretan en la leche humana, se debe tener precaución cuando se administre ALBENDAZOL a una mujer lactante.
REACCIONES SECUNDARIAS Y ADVERSAS:
La administración de
ALBENDAZOL se le ha asociado con las siguientes reacciones adversas: Dolor abdominal, náusea, vómito, cefalea, mareo, vértigo, dolor epigástrico y diarrea.
Durante el tratamiento de la enfermedad hidatídica se han reportado aumentos en el nivel de las enzimas hepáticas.
Asimismo, durante el tratamiento de la neurocisticercosis se han reportado casos de elevación de la presión intracraneal.
Otras reacciones adversas relacionadas al uso de ALBENDAZOL son:
Hematológicas:
Leucopenia.
Se han reportado casos raros de granulocitopenia, pancitopenia, agranulocitosis, o trombocitopenia.
Dermatológicas: Erupción y urticaria.
Hipersensibilidad: Reacciones alérgicas, exantema

you are using a teratogenic product, congratulations and thank. toxicity to embrion and bones malformation

Valbazen is not "approved" for use in poultry, neither is Safeguard, but both can be used "off label" under the direction of a veterinarian.

-Kathy

Hola. No uso el producto en los ninos o ratas. Lo he usado en mis pollos, Y YO NO COMO LOS HUEVOS DURANTE EL PERIODO DE SUSPENSION.

Y la cantidad se obtiene en los huevos es insignificante, a menos que estes muy sensible.

Tambien, no estoy embarazada. :)

Y DE sigue siendo ineficaz.

Eso es todo, or vas a continuar?

I feel like you have moved your argument from "DE is effective" to "chemical wormers are dangerous and irresponsible." Sooooo..... What is your point again?

I am so happy I minored in Spanish. Who knew I would need it on BYC today?

MrsB

Last edited:
Valbazen (albendazole) effectiveness in chickens:
http://japr.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/3/392.full.pdf
http://www.medwelljournals.com/abstract/?doi=rjpharm.2007.5.8
In humans and animals, albendazole is a very safe product when properly dosed by competent doctors and vets....just like any other drug. Common sense.
Any vet that recommends DE as a wormer, isnt a veterinarian. Basura.
Basura is exactly your chickensan eggs are using chemical products. That wrong behaviour is more dangerous you think. You are talking aboutwithdrawal period but you dont known what that is. When you liberate a chemical in environment is very complicate controle it , I am sure you are not the guy is making that word. Ah, albendazol is the same in animals and people, dont become crazy. Estomagante. Anyway I dont mind yours chikens, but the **** you includes in the earth and water yes.

Albendazole is in the class of benzimidazoles which when administered, mainly pass through the digestive tract and excreted. It has a half life of 12 hours, and breaks down further half life's to the point that benzimidazoles are no longer in the system after 72 hours. The dosage is given to chickens in small amounts, normally 1/2cc for standard size birds. Chickens metabolize what they eat/digest much quicker than other animals. They excrete waste normally 2 hours after eating, including albendazole.
I usually recommend 14 days after the last dosing before eggs should be eaten after using albendazole or fenbendazole in poultry. Technically the eggs can be eaten sooner. It's up to the person dosing their birds with either wormer how soon they wish to consume the eggs. I've eaten the eggs in as little as 7 days after dosing with either wormer...I'm still here alive and typing to dispel your misinformation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom