Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

I've never treated my 1 year old hens for any worms. I do have 1 hen that is 2 years old.

I thought both wormers you are supposed to re-dose in 10 days for eggs that hatched. (is this incorrect?)

And the application of Safeguard is 5 doses each time?

Reason I used Safegaurd - it was available at the store. ---but now after having to dose chickens for 5 days The idea of just doing 1 application on the re-dosing time with Valbazen seems more appealing.

If you gave safeguard 5 days straight already, you're finished worming.

Valbazen is the only one you have to re-dose?

I dosed with Safeguard according to what I read on other posts - it was your post. I'm so appreciative you and kathy have responded to these questions.

I will have to worm the chickens again in 6 months? If I do I should switch to Valbazen since I used Safegaurd?

I thought I wasn't going to have eggs for 1 month! So my 14 day count down begins today.
thumbsup.gif

Quote: How often you worm your birds depends on your soil conditions. Warm moist or wet soil and/or chickens kept on the same soil will require frequent wormings. Dry, cool/cold soil may require less wormings as well as rocky or mountainous or desertlike soil.
I worm my birds every 2-3 months, sometimes sooner if we have alot of rain. No need to switch to valbazen right now, perhaps next year about this time.

I wanted to make a note on this thread for everyone-I don't think strike iii is a great wormer-I decided to de-worm every six months. I first used safeguard. I intended to use valbazen next, and just alternate between the two, but tractor supply did not have it, so I used strike iii 6 months later...well, about 2 months after using it...found a round worm in poop...so...for us, I am going to ONLY stick with the strong de-wormers from now on. :/ Girls just got valbazen, orally, and will get safeguard, orally in 6 months. I was hoping I could do val/safe once a year, followed by strike iii or something similar, 6 months later, so I could eat the eggs, but...no...

Anyhow...I have a Q for experts. :)

How do chickens not get worms between the doses? So, if I use safeguard, and then 3 months later...how are they worm free? The safeguard is out of the system by then, so how can they not have worms? Or, is it just a load thing-they may have worms but 6 months would not be long enough for them to overload their system? My girls are free ranging all day now that it is summer, and they are eating and drinking dirt...I gave them valbezan, but I really wonder how they will be worm free 2, 3, 4, 5, months from now. How does that work?

I wanted to make a note on this thread for everyone-I don't think strike iii is a great wormer-I decided to de-worm every six months. I first used safeguard. I intended to use valbazen next, and just alternate between the two, but tractor supply did not have it, so I used strike iii 6 months later...well, about 2 months after using it...found a round worm in poop...so...for us, I am going to ONLY stick with the strong de-wormers from now on. :/ Girls just got valbazen, orally, and will get safeguard, orally in 6 months. I was hoping I could do val/safe once a year, followed by strike iii or something similar, 6 months later, so I could eat the eggs, but...no...

Anyhow...I have a Q for experts. :)

How do chickens not get worms between the doses? So, if I use safeguard, and then 3 months later...how are they worm free? The safeguard is out of the system by then, so how can they not have worms? Or, is it just a load thing-they may have worms but 6 months would not be long enough for them to overload their system? My girls are free ranging all day now that it is summer, and they are eating and drinking dirt...I gave them valbezan, but I really wonder how they will be worm free 2, 3, 4, 5, months from now. How does that work?

Good questions. Waiting response.

From all of my research about worms, I have learned that you usually need two doses, about a week apart, per worming in order to break the life cycle of the worms.

As for how they stay worm free, I don't know that they do. If they are free-range, they are constantly picking up new worm eggs. All you are trying to do is keep the worms under control so they don't cause any harm to the chickens. They may stay worm-free for a month or so, but then it starts to build up again after that. That's why you have to worm every 6 months. I am definitely not a chicken expert, so please feel free to correct this if I'm not understanding it correctly.

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom