Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!

I have wormed my 3 ducks with Wazine #17. I understand that it only kills ringworm should I repeat the Wazine in 10 days?
I also have Safeguard dewormer for the other types of worms. How long after the Wazine can I use the safeguard? Or should I even use the Safeguard?
I 80-100% effective in treating large roundworms if they drink enough of the medicated water. If you want to treat for all worms, use Safeguard again in 10 days. The Safeguard dose that will treat all worms is 0.23ml per pound for *five* consecutive days. Ignore the instructions on the bottle, those are for goats and cattle. Animals like cats, dogs and birds get 10x the dose that goats and cattle get.

-Kathy

Kathy usually tells people to give the SafeGuard at 1/4 ml per pound of of the weight for 5 days in a row, which will treat most hard to get worms. Kathy correct this if I am misquoting you.
1/4 ml is close enough, and probably easier for people to calculate.
big_smile.png
And I do think that that dose will get most of the common worms.

-Kathy

I think the best thing is do keep pens as clean as possible all the time.

-Kathy

So if they are penned while worming and they poop galore in there, there isn't any reason to treat the pen other than what we normally do to keep everything clean? Wash out poop etc?

Correct... And try to keep them from eating host bugs that can infect them.

-Kathy

I'm sure this has been posted in this thread already but I've searched through a few pages and given up.

I just got some adult hens and a coop from a guy on a classifieds site. I'm assuming he didn't worm them properly so I should probably worm them. He did mention he only wormed them in the spring. They are free ranging at my house and had a large run at his.

What should I worm them with how much and how? I gave access to a tractor supply and a rural king.

Should I worm them in the same way every 6 months?

I'm sure this has been posted in this thread already but I've searched through a few pages and given up.

I just got some adult hens and a coop from a guy on a classifieds site. I'm assuming he didn't worm them properly so I should probably worm them. He did mention he only wormed them in the spring. They are free ranging at my house and had a large run at his.

What should I worm them with how much and how? I gave access to a tractor supply and a rural king.

Should I worm them in the same way every 6 months?
From Kathy:

Wazine #17 effective in treating large roundworms if they drink enough of the medicated water.

If you want to treat for all worms, use Safeguard again in 10 days. The Safeguard dose that will treat all worms is 0.23ml per pound for *five* consecutive days. Ignore the instructions on the bottle, those are for goats and cattle. Animals like cats, dogs and birds get 10x the dose that goats and cattle get.

You can get the Safeguard (for goats) at tractor supply. It is a liquid. Kathy said to give 1/4 ml of liquid for each 1 lb. of bird. So a 2 lb. bird would get 1/2 ml. If I understand correctly.

I used the Wazine first but I now think that I should only use the safeguard. Safeguard at TS is approx. $20 for 125 ml. Watch the expiration dates. So far I have found it at 2 places where it is past the expiration dates.

Good luck

If it's not too far past the expiration date you might want to ask them to give it to you, lol.

-Kathy

Yesterday I weighed each of my birds. I caged the rooster, put his dose on a bit of bread, and put the bread in the cage with him. He called the hens, but wouldn't eat his treat. I brought out one of his hens, weighed her, put her dose on a bit of bread, and put it next to his cage, so they would both eat, and get their proper dose of wormer. She at a little, and so did he, but not too much, because the other hen of that trio was not with them. I brought the third hen out, weighed her, etc., but put her back in the coop with her dose on her bread. She wouldn't touch it. Ok, I let her out, figuring I would steer the hens to their own piece of bread. It sort of worked, but the rooster kept flinging some of his to the hens. The hens would rush to grab the pieces he flung out of his cage, then they began running to grab each other's bread. Almost the same thing happened with the next group. I have some that got a bit more than they should have, and some that didn't get quite enough (mostly the roosters didn't get enough). Lesson learned! Today is a new day, and I will do it differently.

Back
Top Bottom