Topic of the Week - Dogs and Chickens

We have two dogs and four chickens, and they get along beautifully.

Abstract:
We had the dogs for several years before we got chickens. We worked diligently on balanced training (please don't @ me, my positive-only friends), and established a strong, respectful, and joyful relationship. I think it also helped that they were a little older and had better impulse control. Honestly, that's what I credit with our dogs' peaceful coexistence with the chickens to: good boundaries, lots of exercise and play, strong relationship, and the sheer dumb luck that neither dog has a super strong prey drive.

Breeds:
Back when we had more money than sense, we got genetic testing for Grover Cleveland, and learned that he is mostly a mix of red heeler and border collie, with a sprinkling of a bunch of bigger dogs like great pyr, white lab, and pit bull terrier. Very weird mix, but the result is a medium-ish derp with a white coat and red-spotted ears and a very pleasant temperament. Birdie came along later...our best guess is Shar pei, beagle, and pit bull. But honestly, who knows. I tend to think that breed can give you averages, but dogs, like people and chickens, are individuals with their own personalities, so you work with what you got.

Prologue:
Before we got chickens, a neighbor had just moved in next door and brought two hens with him. We didn't know about the hens, and one of them flew over our fence, and Grover Cleveland happened to be outside, and he killed her. We ran outside when we heard the kerfuffle, but we were too late to save the hen. So we buried her and brought condolence cookies to the neighbor. But that was definitely a worry when we decided to get chicks. I have heard it said on this site that if a dog has killed a chicken once, it's highly likely he will again. So we definitely approached with caution.

Birdie:
Birdie was scared of the chickens for the first year that we had them. Then she decided they were fine, and now she ignores them. All that she wants in life is to be squashed against her humans while nestled amongst as many pillows as possible, and occasionally do a zoom outside. She literally has no interest in the chickens, and this required no work on my part. Dumb luck.

Grover Cleveland:
We introduced them super early, let the dogs smell them while the chicks were in the brooder. When it was time for the ladies to start roaming the yard, I brought Grover out on a lead and redirected/distracted if he showed too much eagerness toward the chickens. When that felt solid, I took him off the lead and did a claiming exercise (where I basically tell him with my body language that something is "mine," and shuffle into him until he loses interest.) I LOVE the claiming exercise, and it's been very useful in helping Grover distinguish between his dog toys and my toddler's toys. Anyway, for the next few weeks I made sure that I was also in the yard any time GC and the chickens were out at the same time, and watched his body language. And then I just let them be.
Since that time, he has come to decide that the chickens are his responsibility to protect. When one of them sings an egg song, he howls along (even if he's inside the house.) If something bothers them in the night, he hears the fuss and barks his head off to be let outside to go after whatever it is. He uses his mighty roar to scare off any cats, possums, raccoons, and mail carriers who might do them harm. He has never shown inclination to harm any of them, although I did one time see him try to sneak into their coop, presumably to eat their eggs, or maybe just for the sake of curiosity. But that hasn't happened in a couple years now, so I suspect it was a passing fancy.

Epilogue:
Attached are pictures of Grover Cleveland and Birdie in their natural habitats (i.e., the yard and our bed, respectively.)
Birdie does not care about the chickens at all. Grover Cleveland thinks he's a rooster. Dogs are weird. Chickens are weird. Life is funny.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230425-150232.png
    Screenshot_20230425-150232.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230329_203321915.jpg
    PXL_20230329_203321915.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 4
Have a pyrenees Norwegian elkhound cross just over a year old and she took to the LGD role with ease. Introduced her to the chicks when they were in the brooder (holding them letting her smell) and let her look when I went into the room to check or give food and water (always keeping an eye on her and making sure she didn’t stir up the chicks. She quickly accepted them and she’s been good being in the pen with them (in the garage - just made it to the barn today). I agree with the comments about training, but having a dog with the instincts definitely makes it easier. My last dog was a herder. Moved cattle with no training what so ever. She was well trained and I know I would have been able to trust her with the chickens - but because she was trained; not because of her nature. The pyrenees elkhound cross just has a different nature to her taking to the chickens (and lambs) immediately.

Attachments

• 0FB6289A-191C-40F8-B902-2F526BDB5EF2.jpeg
    0FB6289A-191C-40F8-B902-2F526BDB5EF2.jpeg
    906.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 8A1D9335-6466-42BB-A352-3C5A1536FCF1.jpeg
    8A1D9335-6466-42BB-A352-3C5A1536FCF1.jpeg
    676.4 KB · Views: 4
- What is the best/most effective way to deal with/retrain a dog that killed birds already? (No cruel or inappropriate suggestions, please… Let's keep this thread friendly and informative)
This is what I need help with, we currently have a German shepherd that we rescued who is amazing with the chickens and our new duck babies... However, the great Pyrenees/Alaskan malamute mix we took in at 7 months old killed 2 of our hens from our previous flock, she is now 2 and a half years old and I can not/will not trust her around my flock... She is also prone to running off to chase out any and all wildlife and refuses to return until she is ready. So we usually have to tie her out while we are outside but I would love to be able to keep her in harmony with my girls so that they aren't limited to 3 hrs free ranging a day... She will also whine when she notices them outside and pace window to window, same as she does when she sees wild turkey ECT.

Most chicken owners have a dog or two in addition to their flock. Some keep and train their dogs as livestock guardians or flock watchers, while others find they can't trust their dogs with their birds. Keeping these two species together can be done very successfully though. I would like to hear from all you dog and chicken owners what advice you have and what your experiences were when it comes to keeping dogs and chickens together, or at least in harmony. Specifically:

- How do you/did you train your dog(s) not to kill or mess with your chickens?
- What is the best/most effective way to deal with/retrain a dog that killed birds already? (No cruel or inappropriate suggestions, please… Let's keep this thread friendly and informative)
- Tell me about livestock guardian dogs (LGD's)
- Are some dog breeds more or less prone to be a problem around the flock?

For a complete list of our Topic of the Week threads, see here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive
Well, how I trained my dog was by... not training him He is scared of the hens we have, plus the rooster but he is a coward.
Well, the best way that I would see would be like an underground fence or a shock collar but I have no idea.
well we do have a great white Pyrenees, and he is a goat dog but he is pretty good with the goats.
well, my little dog(The one I was talking about in the first sentence) his name is Putty. And he is a mutt. he is a boxer, Bosten tarrier, chawawa, something mix. but I do think it would matter about breed because you don't want to turn a huskie in with a bunch of chickens.

I have a Siberian and a German shep and they both have EXTREMELY high prey drive. Yet, they let the chickens peck and walk all over them without a worry! Ours were off leash trained, with an electric collar (no negative comments as this is strictly for knowledge - I am aware of how controversial they are) but they were very used to the buzz on their collars. We used the buzz (this is a vibrate) to tell them “no” you’re too close or “no” you can’t eat them. And they have luckily (fingers crossed) been good since! Introducing younger chickens is basically starting all over again as I’m finding out - it’s training again. And wild birds….well they unfortunately are not apart of this and sometimes I don’t catch em until it’s too late 😳😩 but chickens and ducks are safe lol

My previous roommate had a husky German shepherd mix. She was curious about the baby fluff balls I'd bring into the yard on summer days. But never be aggressive, she would steal their treats tho... this dog would eat cucumber just because the chickens were! But we lived in a high predator level area and I did lose a couple birds, she didn't realize what was happening until coyotes nabbed my rooster. There was an obvious trail of feathers leading into the woods and it had happened recently enough that she put 2 and 2 together. Afterwards she refused to come in and would perch herself on top of a 5ft tall storage container always vigilant for danger. I didn't lose another bird that summer, I miss that dog but sadly I had to move to better pastures and it would probably be illegal to steal my roommates dog.

My cattle dog definitely has the instinct and has been watching over my neighbors flock and my brooder since day one. I’m still very careful though and my biggest concern was scaring the chicks so I didn’t let her watch much the first few days they were in the tub in case they could feel her watching . Pic was their very first introduction she seemed genuinely concerned about them after their trip through the mail…also they were moved to a more isolated living location I just needed to watch them while I worked that first day. Now I make sure she lays down if she wants to watch and doesn’t hover. She is around when I’m holding them out of the brooder and is interested but not overly interested. When would be an appropriate time to let her sniff one while I’m holder her? I just don’t want to scare the chicks and cause issues

Attachments

• 4DD3FD4B-83FF-45A3-A5C3-D612CEB9D222.jpeg
    4DD3FD4B-83FF-45A3-A5C3-D612CEB9D222.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 2A3E7696-C561-4AB5-B107-DB1D1555B1C4.jpeg
    2A3E7696-C561-4AB5-B107-DB1D1555B1C4.jpeg
    446.1 KB · Views: 3
My border collie I don’t trust her 100% and wouldn’t have her outside by herself when I had chickens. But before I sold my last two chickens, I’d be out in the yard, she might show interest but I’d call her away and she would leave them alone. Now I have quail and she could care less. But she is coming 4 this year and slowing down some 😉.

As a retired dog trainer you can train a dog to leave things alone but It can be an uphill battle with certain breeds (huskies) I would tell owners to be realistic in their expectations and be vigilant. It’s the owners responsibility to be the true guardian not the dogs. Someone posted about tiring the dog out and that’s great advice for common ales of dogs that are harder to train. My motto has always been “A tired dog is a happy dog” My sons pit has always been good with all the birds. Never trained just accepting but I know that’s rare.

Back
Top Bottom