Topic of the Week - Dogs and Chickens

Pics
My border collie I don’t trust her 100% and wouldn’t have her outside by herself when I had chickens. But before I sold my last two chickens, I’d be out in the yard, she might show interest but I’d call her away and she would leave them alone. Now I have quail and she could care less. But she is coming 4 this year and slowing down some 😉.

As a retired dog trainer you can train a dog to leave things alone but It can be an uphill battle with certain breeds (huskies) I would tell owners to be realistic in their expectations and be vigilant. It’s the owners responsibility to be the true guardian not the dogs. Someone posted about tiring the dog out and that’s great advice for common ales of dogs that are harder to train. My motto has always been “A tired dog is a happy dog” My sons pit has always been good with all the birds. Never trained just accepting but I know that’s rare.

Our dog is an English Springer Spaniel. We got her as puppy from a well known good breeder. We have always taken the time and effort to obedience train our dogs. We lived in the city till 6 years ago when we moved to our acreage and started our chicken adventures. Our first birds were 7 hens and a rooster about 1 yr old. Springers are bred as upland game bird dogs which concerned me. The first time the birds free ranged I had the dog on a lead, and spent the time training here that the birds were part of our " pack" or family and they were not toys or food. Once I was confident she would listen to me and not let her instincts take over it was off leash training. Now I can leave her out there with the birds and not worry at all. The birds are part of the family. I believe the time it takes to train your dog is well worth it. It pays off many times over.

Back
Top Bottom