Topic of the Week - Dogs and Chickens

Pics
I recently adopted 2 small dogs, after I started raising my chickens (then, just chicks). I've had the yorkie puppy about 2 1/2 mths. She doesn't show alot of interest in the now, nearly grown pullets, but everytime I show her the chicks, she tries to pull a wing or head into her mouth and gets scolded. The shih tzu I've had about 1 mth and who is probably under 2 years, knows the yorkie gets scolded for accosting the chicks, just looks at them thru the corner of his eyes. But, he stealthily stares at the pullets. When they take off running or flying, he chases until I call him off. He hasn't injured anyone, but I watch diligently, and as long as the girls are calm, he is too. My flock only free-ranges under supervision, and given a chance, I'm not sure if in more danger from the dogs, whom I'm trying to raise chicken-respectful, or the coyotes, hawks, owls, skunks, opposums and bobcats. I guess only time will tell. But I'm most afraid I'm raising bait for the predators that might just get one of my dogs...:(

I have a beagle/golden retriever mix,an 80 lb. beagle. She's about 8years old, and told one time not to bother the chickens. She never has,and they are friends

/snip/

If you are looking for a dog and you have poultry or any livestock I recommend an LGD they are great family dogs but also very good with animals.

This has been my experience as well.

We were fortunate to get great pyr puppy from a working mom, which I would recommend if possible.

The only thing on, with great pyr, you need really good fences: they are bred to roam big territories.

The thing i'd recommend for retraining a dog is to learn about pack behavior. If you can make your dog believe you are the alpha and those chickens belong to you, he'll view them as off limits. Making hom view you as the alpha is yhe easy part; every day, take him on a leash walk and make him walk at your heel, don't let him get in front of you. There are books on this subject. Then "claim" the chickens by making an alpha-type deterrent sound every time he shows interest in your chickens (you have to expose him to the chicken but not let him show an interest, if he does, make the noise - it's the equivalent of growling at him, but you don't want to actually growl as that would be aggressive) .

Anyway that is the approach we use. Never tried it on chickens but have tried it on other stuff.

We always keep a cat or two to help keep the critters away. We hatch and raise our chicks indoors for the first 4-6 weeks. We try and get a new cat at the same time we hatch a new group. From the moment the chicks fluff their feathers we have our cats interact with them. We let the cats nap and play with them.We have had cats that will go up and meow at the brooder for us to let the chicks out like they are playmates, not hunter and food. When we take them all outside to be in the grass we have had male and female cats act like little sheep herders, not letting any individual chick wander too far from the group. It is fun to watch our cats gently paw at the chick tail feathers to get them to go back where they belong and then lay down to take a nap by the group.
We think that all of our cats have done so well with our chickens at all ages because of their early exposure and carefully monitored interactions at a young age. Of course this means they don't kill any birds, but they are still pretty good mouse, snake, and insect hunters.

We have three dogs. two heelers and a mutt. one heeler will guard them all day but moves away when they try to sit on him. The other heeler cannot be trusted as she has already killed one hen and two babies so we put her in the house when the chickens are free ranging. The must stays neutral she doesnt guard them and usually goes to the other side of the house when they are around.

One dog, lab -retriever-Shepard mix, about 4 years old. First chickens this June, dumb luck with no real training the dog is amazing with the chickens. Chickens free range about 50% of the days and I deliberately leave the dog out to protect them. He has chased a few bears from the yard, not sure about the smaller critters. 2 cats from the local shelter a year ago, they are also fine with the chickens. More or less ignore each other, but one cat does approach in a stalking manner every now and then, but as soon as one of the chickens see her they chase her away.

BurntFeather, I loved your post about the cats. I would love to get a feral kitten to be an outdoor cat in my yard. I have a terrible mouse problem as I live on the edge of a canyon and it has gotten worse since I got chickens. My sister has 'Barn Cats and they sure help her.

Little fuzzy too bad you dont live close to me my neighbors two cats just had 15 kittens between them the moms were good hunters and of course they couldn't have them at his house oh no they had them right where we cleaning out the woods had to put the job on hold 6 weeks

BurntFeather, I loved your post about the cats. I would love to get a feral kitten to be an outdoor cat in my yard. I have a terrible mouse problem as I live on the edge of a canyon and it has gotten worse since I got chickens. My sister has 'Barn Cats and they sure help her.

You can become a caregiver of spayed and neutered ferels from your local TNR organization... They will bring a cat/cats if you accept the responsibility of feeding/watering them.

Back
Top Bottom