Toulouse Geese Thread

I paid 20.00 each for my babies. The woman I bought them from lives locally and is the only one in the area that breeds geese. She has four or five different breeds and she has been doing it for years. I wanted toulouse because this my first attempt at geese and read they have a good temperament. The breeder I bought from keeps all the babies for 1 week and handles them daily. When mine came they were already use to people. She sells at a week old because she handles them and just makes sure they are doing well before they go to a new home, Even though they imprint to humans quickly I read they don't recognize facial features until about a week old. This is nice because they are use to humans and when their vision is clear it is the new owner they see and I think that is why mine bonded so quickly to me. She recommended spending at least a few minutes a day with them to keep them use to people. I found them to be so sweet and loving the first day that I was with them as much as possible. Now they follow my husband and I around when we go out to play, every morning I go into the pen and pick each of them up and give them a hug. They actually stand in front of me with necks up and chest out as if they want to put their arms out, it's so cute.
love.gif
So, I don't know if I over paid or not but I will tell you I am so happy we got them at a week old and I am so happy the breeder is compassionate and caring enough to take the time to care that they are as sweet as they can be.
I do not think you over paid. You did not just buy a gosling but they were also lovingly cared for versus left to their own devices. You are reaping the benefits.

I do not think you over paid. You did not just buy a gosling but they were also lovingly cared for versus left to their own devices. You are reaping the benefits.
yes, I think you are right. we really enjoy them and have no regrets about the price we paid. the breeder has been very available to us for questions and we really appreciate that. they are now 6 weeks old and they are so beautiful and when we take them out to play (we don't let them run loose without one of us with them) they stay right with us. one is a little more independent than the other and will venture a little further but when it realizes it's a little too far away it comes running back as fast as it can with wings out stretched and feet flapping.
lau.gif
it's the funniest thing. I have never owned geese, so I never really new how sweet and funny they are. I think the most surprising thing is how fast they grew
ep.gif
in such a short amount of time. they are bigger than my adult ducks! . we love our geese and hope they will stay as sweet when they grow up as they are now.

Eight out of the nine eggs hatched. I know I wished we could keep them all but that would be way too many geese for us.

Eight out of the nine eggs hatched. I know I wished we could keep them all but that would be way too many geese for us.
hello, I was wondering if you might know why my geese are starting to pick on each other at times. I bought a kiddie pool for them but one won't let the other use it, even if he/she is not in it. I have also noticed that they each sleep on opposite sides of their pen (when they were small they slept side by side). I was thinking this might because they are the same sex? I was also thinking if they are they same sex they might both be male? Would this be typical behavior if they are the same sex? They don't seem to fight in the pen and they do travel around together when I take them out and put them in their play yard and or out of it with me. It is clear there is one more dominant than the other especially when it comes to the pool. It doesn't make a difference to me what sex they are, I am just trying to figure out what the picking on each other is about? Any suggestions?

hello, I was wondering if you might know why my geese are starting to pick on each other at times. I bought a kiddie pool for them but one won't let the other use it, even if he/she is not in it. I have also noticed that they each sleep on opposite sides of their pen (when they were small they slept side by side). I was thinking this might because they are the same sex? I was also thinking if they are they same sex they might both be male? Would this be typical behavior if they are the same sex? They don't seem to fight in the pen and they do travel around together when I take them out and put them in their play yard and or out of it with me. It is clear there is one more dominant than the other especially when it comes to the pool. It doesn't make a difference to me what sex they are, I am just trying to figure out what the picking on each other is about? Any suggestions?
How old are they? I guess they´re some months old? Picking is a goose thing anyway, same-family members will do it to each other, just a tad. And also they don´t like to sit closely when they´re older. None of this sounds too much like clues as to their sex. They may be two males, may be not. My youngsters behave exactly like this with their siblings, no matter whether male or female.

Back
Top Bottom