Toys and enrichment?

Be ready to see 'blue' poops.
I only give them the rinds(they'll like it just as well),
why waste that delectably ripe flesh on the birds?
The only one here who eats watermelon is the pig so I thought I’d toss them some just to see what they’d do. They didn’t finish it so I’m going to go get it out.
Maybe 'cause it's not delicately fresh? :p
😂👍

I have a string tied to an eye hook in the ceiling of the run and a large nail tied onto the other end that hangs in the coop. I run the nail through a head of cabbage, lettuce, ear of corn, apple, etc. It hangs at eye level to the girls and it keeps them occupied for a day or so. (I tie the nail up to the eye hook in ceiling when not in use)

All of my chickens love the swing I always have one in the brooder once they turn 2 weeks old I start with a small one then once they are outside they are ready for the regular chicken swing.. my girls love then so much I have 4 in my run.. also dust bath I have a starter plastic tub we use for when they are in the brooder sprinkle some dried herbs and flowers on top of the dust bath my new chicks are 2 weeks old and absolutely love dust bath.. half the time on the swing other half in the dust bath.

Old flower pots and garden pots filled with dirt do it for my ladies. Sprinkle in some scratch/worms now and then and they love “foraging” in them. Also like to dirt bathe in them. Pallets are a good jungle gym item and easy to come by. During winter I sprout lentils in big containers and sprinkle blueberries or BSFL in them.

Most of mine are horrified at cabbage and apples hanging from a chain. I’ve tried leaving it for days and no one will touch it and avoid it at all costs.

I have a string tied to an eye hook in the ceiling of the run and a large nail tied onto the other end that hangs in the coop. I run the nail through a head of cabbage, lettuce, ear of corn, apple, etc. It hangs at eye level to the girls and it keeps them occupied for a day or so. (I tie the nail up to the eye hook in ceiling when not in use)
That’s a great idea. I might do that today, I bought them a bell pepper. Thank you.

All of my chickens love the swing I always have one in the brooder once they turn 2 weeks old I start with a small one then once they are outside they are ready for the regular chicken swing.. my girls love then so much I have 4 in my run.. also dust bath I have a starter plastic tub we use for when they are in the brooder sprinkle some dried herbs and flowers on top of the dust bath my new chicks are 2 weeks old and absolutely love dust bath.. half the time on the swing other half in the dust bath.
Swings sound like a fun idea. Did you make them? My girls also love the dust box.

We have sandboxes and roost bars. This seems boring to me. Does anyone use parrot toys or any other fun things? They like to pick at my jewelry and buttons on my pants 😂 One even stole a nail I was holding (I got it back) so I’m thinking shiny things would be a hit. They don’t look at the mirror much anymore. They are 7 weeks old.
I have seen swings specially made for chickens. I have one and my girls were not so interested but you have to start them young and I did not. I found if I move the setup in their run once every other month or so they are always like hey?! This is different. My favorite boredom buster “the Rooting box”. I made a 4ftx4ftx2ft frame no bottom and I throw a little straw (no hay it mats) with scratch buried in it. They love it. I don’t do it every day but when I do I toss another flake in bury more scratch. They go to town on it. They use their natural curiosity and forging skills as if they were out foraging freely only in the safety of their hen house. It also reduces bullying. You would be surprised how they break the straw down and they love to lounge in it. Great for your compost when you change it out….looks like you mulched it. If I tell them to get in the rootin box they do that ( I know it’s hard to believe huh?). I also recycled a pond insert (2ft wide about 10inches deep) and keep it full of dirt they dust bathe everyday. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom