Tractor Supply Chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't call it a large national chain like Walmart, but if you have it less than 24 hours and the chick dies they will usually let you exchange it. It seems everyone likes to attack TSC and the employees, but most of thepeople who work there have never dealt with chicks and are there because it's a job and that's all. When we get chicks in, we go by what the hatchery prints on the invoice. The box says assorted bantams or assorted pullets, that's all the information we have. As for knowing when the next order is coming in, we don't know chicks are coming until they call us from the post office. We submit an order in like January with the breeds and such and they send them out as they come available. At my store, we get the chicks from Privett. A lot of the orders have come in with numerous chicks already dead. We don't control the health of the birds and we do what we can to keep them healthy but there is only so much you can do. If people are unhappy with the TSC birds, why keep buying them from there? Order straight from the hatchery. TSC is a retail store and chicks are just a small part of that store for a very short time, employees come and go and most are working there simply because they couldn't find a job anywhere else. I work there because I get a discount on my feed now and I can't find a job as a vet tech. Sorry, I just get irritated when people start running a place down without knowing the full story.

Hey the way I look at it,like I tell my wife when she gives me a hard time about too many chickens I just remind her im home every night and not a drug addict or alcoholic,my addiction is chickens it's harmless "right" haha.

I am going to a different feed store that isn't carrying chicks, even though my chickens prefer the Layena that I can get at TSC, because I DON'T TRUST MYSELF!!!
"I only have room for 8, and I will not get any more....." repeat 20 times 3 X a day.
All that fuzzy butt cuteness is just too irresistible. And if the kids saw them, well forget about it!

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Hi everyone! I have been reading and noticed several people bought chicks and wound up with more roo's than desired. So a silly thought crossed my mind: why not learn how to sex a chick before you go to the store?
It's easy to do....
1) Pick the chick up by the scruff of its neck.
2) if the feet dangle it's a girl.
3) if the chick pulls it's feet up to its body it's a boy.

Hope this helps someone out.

This is an old wives tale.

I purchased four chicks from our TSC (it was a combined order with someone else who bought three alongside our four). Ours offered assorted bantams (straight run), Cornish crosses (pullets if I remember), assorted pullets, assorted reds, and assorted ducks. Ours are doing quite well. We haven't had any issues health wise. To me, it appeared that they offered silkies but I am no expert. We walked out with a Barred Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Red Sex Link, and, what I think is, a Old English Game bantam.

From what I have seen around the community, I would have to say that there are pros and cons to either shipping or going to a feed store like TSC. We got two others from a local feed store just down the road from where we live and our TSC chicks seem to match them health wise and quality wise. I think it really depends on the individual store, really. But one benefit, that I have seen, is that there appears to be less stress with going the feed store route. You have an opportunity to observe the chicks and the employee that assisted us allowed us to choose the chicks that we thought were healthy and active. Upon arrival at our home, the chicks took a couple of hours to distress and they have been doing great since then. We haven't had a single loss or pasty butt issues. Whereas with shipping there are occasional losses and added stress, but I am in no way an expert.

As for the handling issue...our TSC doesn't allow people to hold the chicks. Which can be annoying but it prevents the manhandling and disease spread.

**To add to my post: I did find the employees' ignorance an extreme annoyance. The first time we went to look they only had Assorted Bantams and Ducklings. We were told that a new shipment would be arriving either Monday or Tuesday of the upcoming week, no one was able to tell us what breeds they were expecting. So come Tuesday we were told that the shipments actually came Wednesday and Thursday. It was extremely frustrating the lack of communication.**

Last edited:
I agree its not tractor supply fault,but it is their responsibility to hire employees that can at least be friendly enough to explain where the chicks come from. at my local store employees either run from customers or won't speak at all. Its very frustrating.
And that is something you take up with the management of the store and, if still dissatisfied, with corporate - or you voice your opinion with your dollar, by shopping elsewhere......which I know is often easier said than done, but if one feels strongly enough about the issue they find a way even if it means increased expense or inconvenience.

If you have a complaint, I always tell people to talk to a manager. Since I'm now a manager, I get the pleasure of talking to people who have those complaints. It's company policy to do what it takes to make the situation right. The pool of people we can choose from to hire is pretty shallow. My store is currently short handed and the people who have been interviewing are not up to par so we have been doing what we can. There is so much that happens behind those swinging doors to 'the back' that nobody understands until you're in the thick of it. I stopped shopping at Walmart because I hate that place. If your TSC is as awful as my Walmart, then by all means, shop at a different store! LOL

Absolutely..... TSC's policy is 'do what it takes to make the customer happy'... As is true with any business there are those employees where working for TSC is 'just a job' where for others (myself and sounds like dmkaiser83 included) it's more than that.. I grew up shopping at TSC with my dad, now I work for TSC... most days I love my job and the customers who walk through my doors. Occasionally, well.... not so much. The same for the employees I work with and manage. I have some that care, others couldn't care less. It's a process, sometimes painfully slow, to find the right combination that works well together on all levels and to get everyone on the same page as far as customer service and pride/ownership in the store. Another option to be heard at the corporate level is if you're on FB TSC has a FB page that is monitored by customer service. Trust me... any issues you may have will be checked into and resolved and the DM (district mgr) and SM (store mgr) will know about it as well..

That's great to know because talking to my store manager is like talking to a rock. I finally found one employee that liked her job and always helpful. she got fired supposedly for being too social. other employees complained that she was always talking to customers leaving them with all the work. Ugh.

Being social and 'talking to customers' is what our job is all about... That was one of the first things I asked my mgr... 'how long is too long to spend with a customer?' He said 'there's no such thing as too long..' Customer Service takes the FB page very seriously... especially if you're not getting anywhere with the SM...

Back
Top Bottom