Tractor Supply Ducklings

I'm so excited, they arrive tomorrow at our TSC. So maybe we'll pop in on Wednesday (we have to work Mon and Tues) and see what we can see. We've been trying to find an adult friend for our duck but had no luck so we might have to get a duckling instead. Though I'm nvervous about that b/c I really wanted another hen to lay eggs, the dog's LOVE them. I'm sure I'll end of with a drake though, that is just how my luck is ya know lol. I only have one duck and am not planning on keeping a whole flock. I keep reading on here that that it's better to have a couple of girls for every boy that you have
hmm.png
I don't think my husband's going to go for that.

I got a couple of Pekins last year from TSC. I think when I went they only had pekins and rouens. I lucked out and picked the two smallest ones and they were both girls! Yay! They also make you buy a minimum of 2 ducklings.

I bought 5 Pekins and 7 Mallards from TSC here in Virginia last year. All were healthy and did really well except one Pekin, which had to be culled and one Mallard, which we think was the victim of a hawk. Good luck!!

When I go up to TSC, I sex the ducklings for people. LOL Ours usually has Cayugas, Runners, Mallards, Pekins, Rouens, Welsh Harlequins, Blue and Black Swedes too. Probably others too. They always have a nice assortment of ducks.

Laurie

we got three ducklings last year from tsc amd they are doing wonderul, laying and one is sitting on a nest now! we had to buy min 2 (min 6 on chicks) but I don't know exact breeds. On is a brown runner duck, on I think is a black and white crested peking (drake) and the other is a beautiful grey heavy duck but I don't know her breed...
big_smile.png

Quote:
i thought the minimum was 6 or is that chickens or does it depend on area?

Guess it depends on area. There isn't a minimum around here. i've bought 1 just as a replacement before and didn't here a word about it.

Quote:
How do you sex them? Can you do that by looking at them? If I could up my chances of getting a girl that would be awesome.

Depending on your TSC they may or may not let you handle the birds (your not even supposed to handle the birds at my TSC until you've bought them, lame) to let you sex them as most breeds require vent sexing. if you look in the sticky's part of this part of the forum there is a stickie of how to vent sex and also if you go to the metzer website you can find a video link which metzer shows you how to vent sex.

Back
Top Bottom