Tractor supply?

It's still worth checking to see what they have at your local TSC, since you might get lucky. They might even order exotic breeds for you. Just be aware that a Rural King or larger store could be a lot more fun to visit.
Okay awesome thank you for helping me out!

We picked up six chicks from TSC and they seem to be doing well. They're either Black Australorps or Dominiques ... the store personnel were not all in agreement, and the tub the chicks were in was not labeled. That particular store had these, Leghorns, Bantam Sumthin's, and ducks. My wife went to another local TSC, and said they had Rhode Island Reds and other breeds not at the first store (she didn't remember the names ... sorry.) It's very hit-and-miss as to what each store gets. At the first store, all the birds were straight-run. The second store had one bin of pullets.

I think we were fortunate to get the chicks when we did. They had only been on the floor for maybe three days, so they weren't particularly stressed.

I've read on BYC often that TSC employees usually know next to nothing about chickens. They don't know the ages, the breeds and certainly not what sex. Chicks often are put in the wrong bin. Or if one breed sells out, they just put another breed in there, without a different sign. It's unlikely you will get the pullets and no cockerels. If you know someone who really knows chickens, maybe they would accompany you & help you pick them out.

I've read on BYC often that TSC employees usually know next to nothing about chickens. They don't know the ages, the breeds and certainly not what sex. Chicks often are put in the wrong bin. Or if one breed sells out, they just put another breed in there, without a different sign. It's unlikely you will get the pullets and no cockerels. If you know someone who really knows chickens, maybe they would accompany you & help you pick them out.
At my store half the employee's own chickens and all the stuff you are listing would get you a serious talking to from our manager and the manger supervises the placement of chicks and signs. I know the other stores in our district adhere to the same requirements and one of my co-workers was a farmer for 50 years prior to working here. He raised leghorns, pigs, and black Angus beef cattle. If employee's are caught doing this they should be reported to a manager as this is against the company policy. All new shipments must have signs replaced and boxes must never be mixed. Pullet and straight runs are not to be mixed and breeds are not to be mixed. Signs are also NEVER to be switched unless instructed otherwise by the manager or hatchery and once all chicks sell out in a bin the sign is to be removed and put away.

All hatcheries send their shipment with labels for the breed and if it is straight run or pullets. Signs are placed on the box themselves and brought out with the chicks in that box. The sign is placed on the bin and the chicks accompanying that signs is put in the bin. Since only employee's are able to handle the chicks the chicks are not picked up and tossed into the wrong bin. If the hatchery sends red sexlink pullets we set up the sign for the redsexlink pullets and stick the redsexlink pullets in that bin. Once they sell out the sign is pulled down and put back with our sign collection. They have also sent us blank signs to write in for rarer or new breeds. All our chicks we get are sent a day old like normal so if the chicks have been in the store a week they are a week old. If they have been there for 3 days they are likely 4 days old.

Last edited:
Okay I see that makes sense
1f914.png
Thank you for the advice!

All TSC stores have different birds -- any of 50 or more breeds -- and that is based on what hatches at the hatcheries. You can also order online now and choose the breed you want -- http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/poultry/poultry-supplies/live-baby-chicks-ducks---turkeys

Is tractor supply a good place to get chicks? They have the breed I want right now but I don't wanna end up with a rooster because I live in town.

I've gotten chicks from many sources: shipped from hatcheries, from Tractor Supply and other feed stores, shipped eggs, etc, and I've always been happy with my Tractor Supply birds.
They put them in bins inside a corral and they are labeled. Only the store personnel, not the public, can handle them but you can tell them what you want and approve your choices.
I've gotten six straight run bantams that were five girls and one cockerel and four ducks that contained one drake. The numbers don't get any better than that.
I have friends who add replacements to their flock with a few production reds each year and are happy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from TSC.
I know several people who have gotten incorrect birds from stores that allowed the public to handle the birds.

I've gotten chicks from many sources: shipped from hatcheries, from Tractor Supply and other feed stores, shipped eggs, etc, and I've always been happy with my Tractor Supply birds.
They put them in bins inside a corral and they are labeled. Only the store personnel, not the public, can handle them but you can tell them what you want and approve your choices.
I've gotten six straight run bantams that were five girls and one cockerel and four ducks that contained one drake. The numbers don't get any better than that.
I have friends who add replacements to their flock with a few production reds each year and are happy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from TSC.
I know several people who have gotten incorrect birds from stores that allowed the public to handle the birds.

That's the most important aspect.... only staff members should be allowed to hold the birds. The TSC I go to in New Jersey only allow staff members to hold chicks, which prevents them from getting mixed up. And since I just went to the TSC a week ago in Ringoes, NJ, I'll tell you there selection that weekend. They got the shipment in on wed or Thursday.

30 Australorp Pullets
5 OEGB Bantams Straight Run
30 EE/Dominique Straight Run (Fairly easy to distinguish between the two breeds)
50 Straight Run Ducks (Probably Mallards or Pekins)

All the Sexlink and Barred Plymouth Rock Pullets were sold out.

So all in all, not a bad selection.

30 Australorp Pullets
5 OEGB Bantams Straight Run
30 EE/Dominique Straight Run (Fairly easy to distinguish between the two breeds)
50 Straight Run Ducks (Probably Mallards or Pekins)

All the Sexlink and Barred Plymouth Rock Pullets were sold out.

So all in all, not a bad selection.

Yea well that's pretty much what I consider a bad selection, and similar to what I see every spring at the TSC's here in Indy. It is cool that they have Australorps though, and if my TSC gets some of those in then I might get some. They always make sure to have ducks and bantams, and I'm not sure why. Another user took photos of what the Rural King (where I got my chicks this year) selection looks like. Take a look!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/730582/indiana-bycers-here/51100#post_18164924

Last edited:
We picked up six chicks from TSC and they seem to be doing well.  They're either Black Australorps or Dominiques ... the store personnel were not all in agreement, and the tub the chicks were in was not labeled. That particular store had these, Leghorns, Bantam Sumthin's, and ducks.  My wife went to another local TSC, and said they had Rhode Island Reds and other breeds not at the first store (she didn't remember the names ... sorry.)  It's very hit-and-miss as to what each store gets.  At the first store, all the birds were straight-run.  The second store had one bin of pullets.

I think we were fortunate to get the chicks when we did.  They had only been on the floor for maybe three days, so they weren't particularly stressed. 
Okay thanks for the info!!!

I've read on BYC often that TSC employees usually know next to nothing about chickens.   They don't know the ages, the breeds and certainly not what sex.  Chicks often are put in the  wrong bin.  Or if one breed sells out, they just put another breed in there, without a different sign.  It's unlikely you will get the pullets and no cockerels. If you know someone who really knows chickens, maybe they would accompany you & help you pick them out.
I'll go in and check it out to see how it is. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom