Trading my 4 mo flemish giant buck for a breeding pair mini rex

boxermom

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Spencer,IA
I bought my flemish giant buck for a pet. Unfortunately, he "tolerates" petting, but is nasty if he is carried or moved. I can't reach into his cage to get his water bowl w/o keeping him otherwise occupied, or he'll bite me. My doe is so sweet, so I think I'm wasting my time trying to tame the buck. My DD and I were at the fair this week and were talking to "rabbit people." DD goes to school w/ their DD. Well, the girls started talking and their DD said she wants a FG. Her dad said she could tame anything, she's got a special touch. He's willing to trade a breeding pair of mini rex rabbits for the FG. These FG are my first rabbits and I'm learning as I go. Is this a good trade? Will the mini rex's be good "learners" for DD in 4H? What do you think?

Depends what they look like, and how their temperment is
smile.png
Around here flemish fetch a higher price than most (some are raised for eating), but if your looking for a great home the trade may be better for you. Go and see the rabbits and see if you both get along with them. Is this a breed you are interested in? With so many out there, settling on a breed can be tough!

It might be a good trade. Are the mini rexes show quality? This is the only reason I'd trade. Your FG might be more "valuable" but if what your trading for is not something you can show and breed to better represent the standard, then I'd pass. I myself would not breed that FG buck. I've had many FG's- more bucks then does and he does not sound typical for the breed in temperment. If you do decide against the MR's then I would find him a home regardless. His temperment will leave you unhappy and frustrated as a begginer. As a begginer, regardless of the breed you choose, you should have fun and enjoy all your rabbits and the rabbit hobby.
It's ood that you posted this dilema! I had a FG that passed away and was unable to find a local FG that was under $100. In that serch, I found a local Mini Rex breeder and bought a buck. He is black and white (broken black in MR speak) and I love him!! He one of the best rabbits I have ever had. He is very sweet. I am toying with the idea to start showing rabbits again after many years have gone by just because he is a sweetheart! I've had MR's before, but mixed rescues ones from the shelter. I have to say Im quite fond of this breed even though I was never "looking" for it!
If these MR's have a good temperment, then that is a good trade and you are better off as a begginer to have rabbits that are friendly and fun.

Our DD currently has 13 yes I said 13 mini Rex rabbits. She started with three bucks LoL they seem to be very nice rabbits and easy for her to handle. They do have sharp nails though because they don't get to dig much. If you prefer a smaller rabbit these will fill the bill.our DD really enjoys her mini rexs so I am sure yours will also. Remember to keep them separate or they will reproduce like rabbits even if you have 3 males LOL

a good mini rex can cost a pretty penny. they are very common a class`s are normally big in 4h and arba. we just moved this year and my son missed the deadline to show in 4h here in our new state so he had to show in the open class with the adults and there was 30 in his breed..which was actually a small class. i think thats the only down side. most mr have great temperments. check out the arba standard on the mini rex so u know what to look for. we pay anywhere from 40 to 200 for nice rabbits. id also read up on genetics and varities before breeding. good luck!

Thanks all for your comments. We're "scheduled" to meet the bunns on Fri. We held some of their rabbits that day at the fair. They were very loving and snuggly. Their DD spends alot of time with them. I was ok w/ the trade initially, but started questioning when another rabbit person said she finds MR's to be snippy. She did say however, everyone has their own preferences and you need to match your personality with the rabbit's. So... learning more and more.
smile.png
DD is excited. (I kind of am too.)
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom