Training/Teaching a dog about chickens

We had a sweet Rhodesian Ridgeback that would pack the chicks in his mouth like he did with kittens, except the chicks would die. I truly think the high pitch peeps of baby chicks irritate dogs. When the Ridgeback passed on, we started letting our Corgi, Ellie, out with the chickens. Retractable leash, sharp "leave it" and treats, worked for us. Ellie went from running around the coop, to showing no interest in the chickens, they can squawk, run, and fly away and she won't flinch.
D.gif

The only time Ellie is aggressive is when I feed the chickens cherry tomatoes, her favorite and she takes them from the chickens. The only problem with her lack of interest is, she lets the bobcat carry them off. Which is why we recently purchased a Black Mouth Cur puppy to chase the wildlife off our property. She is just 8 weeks old but already working off leash around the chickens who are deathly afraid of her. If this goes as planned, Kate the BMC will be their new protector. Then I can purchase a flock of chicks in the spring and enjoy a full coop again
! f

A little trick for training your dogs if you are working on trying to get them to stay or leave it- use a hand motion, snaps, or a noise/command that gets there attention. Also, use regular dog food one piece at a time so they don't eat to many treats (which can sometimes upset thier stomach or dehydrate them) And a noise you make like the snap or whistle or any noise before the command to get their attention in case they are focusing on the chicken and not you. Best of luck I am working on it too mine wants to play with the chickens but a little too rough.

I have a lab who is the best dog I've ever had. She has never gone after them once. We've had her since she was a baby and we trained her since like under a year. Are you're dogs from the pound or have you not had them since a baby? Because that might be a problem. We had another dog who never got to meet the chickens, but stared at them in a hunter way. So if you had them since a baby, I don't know. But if you didn't, it might be their past and it's I don't really think it's possible to change that.

I should add that my Heeler is a rescue dog who was not trained young. The Lab is a rescue but I got her as a young puppy.
I think if the Heeler had been around chickens as a pup I might have been able to train her. She is very smart and only wants to
do what I ask. On the other hand, she herds anything that moves.

I'm no expert but if you work hard at this the dogs should learn all chicks are off limits. My first dog that I introduced to our baby chicks and ducks was a German Shepherd, Akita mix both strong minded dogs but if trained well will listen very well. At first yes he did lick them to death and try to play ruff with them but after a few weeks of training to my term "be easy" he learn the are off limits and hung out with them all the time. An my other dog a Boston Terrier also learned not to mess with them. So yes it takes time but it can be done. Best of luck to you.

~~Do not know if this remedy has already said someone. An ancient remedy says to hang the dead bird neck killed her dog. .
Itself it is a more of a witch trick of someone loving nature. The bird has to put in a strong canvas bag and donning so you can not get rid of it scratching,
even placing the dog funnel those vets who put them where they operate. Advisable to leave the dog outside with the bag hung a couple of weeks .. regards

Well since starting this thread a while back, I've been amazed at the reponses and suggestions. I have been working with my two dogs as much as I can with my hectic schedule. They still want to chase but have gotten the command of "no" and "leave it" pretty well. I had a hen get out of the pen while my son was filling the waterers and the dogs went straight for her, but as soon as I motioned and with a very firm NO, they backed off and allowed me return the hen to the pen. It is slow goings but progress is progress. :)

I have three rescue dogs from the pound, a staffie mix, an Alsation and somewhat of a mix between something like Rhodesian Ridgeback and Mastiff. They were there before the chickens but we have wild guineafowl on the lawn everyday. when the Alsation and the Ridgeback were new, they both took off after the guineas and got very strong disciplining. its not nice but if you get big dogs and you want them to respect you and not kill things, you HAVE to be stern. Now I am hand-rearing a baby orpington bantam in the house, and she will jump on the dogs back using it like a step ladder to get onto me or onto the counter. She also picks at their tails. I think a big issue is when the chickens are afraid of the dogs and run away. My rooster also grew up around these dogs and just pecked them on the nose when they tried to sniff. They had great respect for him. So I think what might also help is having a chick in the house, around the dogs all the time, so it gets used to the dogs and doesn't run. Running will trigger even the most well-behaved dogs' instincts. When the dogs are confronted with a chicken that doesn't run from them but approaches them actively, they usually get quite intimidated. Over time they get so used to them like they are part of the family, and they might associate all chickens with family, not prey. Try putting a muzzle on the dogs in the beginning for safety, and always observe and be close by to be ready to discipline. A chick walking all over a dog and being around it all the time will put the dog off hunting it fairly quickly. They can only stay in hunting mode for so long until they get bored and used to it. So its sort of sensitization therapy. My dogs now know all birds have "family" status, even though they have very strong hunting instincts still, and would kill any cat or other small animal instantly. Only be careful if chickens get agitated and start running around, thats the only time I worry. And I also don't leave chickens and dogs alone in the house together when I am away, thats just chancing it. But with my feisty roo, they would all be alone in the garden and I never had problems, because the chickens just werent afraid of the dogs. A really mean roo that's been raised to disrespect dogs really helps.

my dogs are great with my chickens but I did once have a dog that would chase them. I tied him up in the chook yard with a kennel, kibble and water when I wasn't able to watch him. he soon became so used to them he didn't bother with them at all. till the day he died he never even looked sideways at them. It's called desensitising training.

Back
Top Bottom