Training/Teaching a dog about chickens

My experience is don't trust any of them! Some dogs don't bother small livestock, others do and when they do it's very hard to break them of it, if not impossible. And a formerly uninterested dog can pick up bad habits from other dogs. Sorry to all you dog lovers out there, but it is a case by case situation and in some cases it will come down to the dog or the chickens. Unfortunately a really determined dog can break into even a "secure" pen and a truly mean, aggressive dog will not hesitate to attack and kill a large goose. Along with birds of prey I've had my worst losses from dogs and I guess I'm kind of sour on them as a whole. I can't stress enough the importance of predator protection with any kind of poultry.

Well since starting this thread a while back, I've been amazed at the reponses and suggestions. I have been working with my two dogs as much as I can with my hectic schedule. They still want to chase but have gotten the command of "no" and "leave it" pretty well. I had a hen get out of the pen while my son was filling the waterers and the dogs went straight for her, but as soon as I motioned and with a very firm NO, they backed off and allowed me return the hen to the pen. It is slow goings but progress is progress. :)
Good Morning Mr. Lucas

I was going to ask you a while ago if you had anticipated how much response you were going to get to this forum post! ( You had helped my to identify one of my little white cochins a while back when posted about your white bird in your profile picture). I just wanted to say that this post has really helped me a lot as my dog is a terrier and I wasn't sure if there would ever be hope of getting past her but thankfully there was such a response to your post that I have found some really helpful info and my 8 year old terrier is finally more of a help than a hindrance. Have a wonderful Christmas and take care.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with training dogs to be around chickens. However I can share what has worked with my dog. We've always lived in an urban area, so the closest bird my dog has had access to before this year was maybe a pigeon, crow, sparrow, etc. My chickens live in a coop and large run in the backyard. We let the dog into the back yard for about 10 minutes and by force of habit forgot that she was out there with the new chickens. Well in 10 minutes time she tried to chew her way into the chicken coop and was full of splinters and there was wood everywhere. Fast forward to our second encounter. My dog is 7 years old - a shepherd mix - and she absolutely hates water. So I tried to reintroduce her to the chickens while keeping the hose handy in the yard. If she even locked an eye on a chicken, she got sprayed. It only took 2 sprays of the hose and she got the point. Now she doesn't even seem to notice they're there.

Now if you have a more stubborn dog, or a dog that loves water, I can't say that I would recommend this. My dog has just HATED water for so long that I know she'll do anything to avoid getting wet. Just some food for thought.

I saw something a few posts back that made me think....my dog seems to not really care to much about the adult chickens, until they start flapping their wings. But if they are on the ground minding their own business, she does the same, but another member said something about how the little peeping of the chicks could be irritating to dogs. I can't help but wonder if theres something to this. My dog hackles up, gets the butt afro and all whenevershe hears little guys peepping. Either that or it may be partially to do with their size.Wish I could know what was going on in my dogs head sometimes...Maybe, then again it would probably read something like this:foodd, food, hot dog, walk , lick behind, food, food, sleep, food, treat, beg.Such an exciting life.

gets the butt afro.

In case anyone missed it... Butt Afro...

That... just happened.

lol.png

Our new guy, Flynn, the Australian Cattle Dog (mix?) pup, is going on 5 months old now... he has followed me out every morning while I do my morning chicken chores... So he see's them every day. When I step into the run to set out their water, or to fill their feed can, etc... he usually sits by the door and waits, occasionally he will jump up against the door... but he's only doing so because he wants to be with me, not because he's craving some KFC.

He has had several leashed observations both in and out of the run. He has also successfully had 3 off leash experiences. Once in their run, and twice out and about in the back yard. The bitter cold and icy snowy whether has kind of limited the birds' yard time this winter.

Our other dog, River, the Mini American Shepherd, has been instrumental in his chicken training. She has modeled ideal behavior, and shown him that there are rewards for said ideal behavior. She has actually stepped in during the off leash experiences, providing him with toys, chew sticks and other appropriate activities to show him what is ok to focus on whilst being surrounded by free roaming chickens.

It is pretty telling, about the temperament of this pup, when his default behavior when encountering anything new or odd is to just sit down and watch. Inconsiderately loud, low- flying gaggle of Canada Geese flying overhead? Sit, and observe. Neighbor's teenager pulls into the drive and vibrates to a stop on the bass of whatever music is popular today... Sit, and observe. Siren in the distance? Sit and observe in the direction of the sound... Dog barking down the hill from us? Sit and observe.

We have been reinforcing this behavior at every opportunity... and so... he has had lots of positive training in the 6 weeks we've had him.

He has only shown very mild impulses to chase, and we have been working on his attention to commands... So, the time Kaylee, my big grey owl of an Easter Egger, decided to take a shortcut across the yard and flew a distance of 60 feet, 4 feet off the ground, right over Flynn's head... like a big, weird, flapping frisbee... all we needed to do to get him to self moderate that chasing impulse, was to say his name.

Such a good dog already.

and here is a painting I did of them...

Last edited:
Lol! You so went there.
lol.png

Great job Gifa! It definitely helps have an older &/or trained dog teach the younger &/or new dog.
wink.png

Awesome painting too, btw.
smile.png

Yeah, our River learned everything she knows about how to be a great dog from our Ajax. He was a great teacher... He was also 10 years old, so he didn't have it in him to be anything but good... Still, it's nice to see Ajax's legacy being passed on to our new pup via his star pupal, River.

Thanks on the painting... It's on it's way to New Hampshire, as a Holiday card for my sister-in-law... they're dog people, and she and I exchange work regularly... It's probably worth more to them than everything else in the care package that it's accompanying... which is full of locally made jams and honeys and soaps... It's our holiday tradition... to trade the local bounty between Missouri and New Hampshire and send something handmade...
love.gif
Keepin' Christmas on the Down Low... Happy Humble Holidays are the best!

Last edited:
Quote: Sorry guys
big_smile.png
I don't know what else to call it. She gets the shoulder hackles all stood up but instead of going in a line down her back she has a circle of hair above her tail on her back that stands up too. All I can think of is an afro.Plus she has black hair and short so it stands straight up. Wish i could get a picture of it. Even more embarrassing is when we are in public and I tell her to "put down your butt hair" before I remember I'm out in public. You know what they say about you can take the country girl out of the city.....whoops.

Back
Top Bottom