TransGender Duck

oldload

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 16, 2014
Grand Bay, Alabama
All of my ducks were killed by a neighbors dog. We had 7 eggs at the time we could incubate, only 3 survived to make some beautiful fawn and white Indian Runners just like the originals. We bought some Chocolate Indian Runners that were really rescue ducks. When they grew to maturity it turned out that the only drake we had was one of the fawn and whites. For some reason he would only breed with the Chocolate ducks. One of our female fawn and white ducks was laying eggs and doing just fine. She was constantly presenting herself to the drake, bobbing her head and, from our perspective, it was like, what's a girl gotta do here. The drake wouldn't participate in the affection. Then she started mounting our other fawn and white female as though she was a drake whenever they were in the pond. If you're aware of duck love, they seemed to finish the mounting like a drake and a duck. She/He quit laying any eggs for several weeks. For the last couple of days she/he has been real weak acting and is laying "balloon" eggs, or eggs without a shell. Has anybody experienced this type of situation?

Yes - my Runners will play hop on top - they are all girls.

She needs more calcium - a few of my ducks just need more than what is in even layer feed. One way I give this to them is to dissolve calcium citrate and add it to their food, or to peas.

I have been giving the whole flock an extra 50 to 80 mg per day most days, and a couple of them are now getting their own "special" of about another 50 mg per day, as they were still laying soft eggs.

It's odd though that my other three girls are laying perfect eggs and this one quit laying for so long and then started with the eggs without shells. We do feed back the eggshells in their food. Where do you get your calcium citrate? Do you buy it in bulk or break open capsules?

Back
Top Bottom