Treating hookworms

Today I was able to pick up some liquid Corid from our feed store. Everyone is still looking pretty good except that one girl. I picked up some nitro drench. I know you are not supposed to give vitamins during treatment with crorid but I'm afraid I may lose her if I don't try something. Also I am seeing green stool along with normal looking and the occasional yellow stool. Should I be worried about a bacterial infection?

Okay... Sorry, my mistake. I like liquids better than powders and pills because I'm very "funny" about dosing and they are easier to give. The drench info I gave is a good example... If you had the liquid, the drench amount would be 0.02ml per 100 grams.

-Kathy[/quote

Kathy, for the liquid, is it still mixed with water or just by itself?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about these worms.
big_smile.png

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2655&Itemid=2933
Internal parasites (endoparasites, worms, helminths)

Roundworms (nematodes)

• Acuaria spp ~ Dispharynx ~ Synhimanthus spp. $. Gizzard worms. Gizzard, esophagus and proventriculus. Can be a problem in endemic regions, mainly in birds kept outdoors.
  • Ascaridia spp. $$$. Chicken roundworms. Small intestine. A serious problem worldwide, also in confined operations.
  • Capillaria spp. $$. Hairworms. Crop, esophagus, small intestine, large intestine.
  • Heterakis spp. $$$$. Cecal worms. Cecum. Probably the most threatening worms in all kind of poultry operations worldwide.
  • Oxyspirura spp. $. Fowl eyeworms. Eyes. Usually a secondary problem in individual birds kept outdoors.
  • Strongyloides spp. $$. Threadworms, pinworms. Small intestine. Can be a serious problem worldwide.
  • Subulura spp. $. Cecum and small intestine. A secondary problem in birds kept outdoors worldwide.
  • Syngamus trachea. $$. Gapeworms. Trachea, bronchi. A serious problem in birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
  • Tetrameres spp. $. Proventriculus and esophagus. Can be a problem in endemic regions, mainly in outdoor opertaions.
Tapeworms (cestodes)

• Amoebotaenia cuneata = sphenoides. $. Small intestine. Usually a secondary issue in most poultry operations
  • Choanotaenia infundibulum. $. Small intestine. Usually not a major issue in modern poultry operations.
  • Davainea proglottina. $. Minute tapeworms. Small intestine. Can be a problem in birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
  • Raillietina spp. $$. Small intestine. The most frequent tapeworm in poultry, however normally not a major problem.
Flukes (trematodes, flatworms)

• Prosthogonimus spp. $. Oviduct flukes. Oviduct, bursa of Fabricius. Can be a serious threat for birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.

ACUARIA spp - SYNHIMATHUS spp - DISPHARYNX spp, parasitic roundworms of POULTRY - chicken, turkey, geese, etc. Biology, prevention and control.

Acuaria is a genus of parasitic roundworms that infects numerous domestic birds (chickens, turkeys, pigeons, guinea fowls, etc.). These worms are not as frequent as other gastrointestinal roundworms of poultry (e.g. Ascaridia spp, Capillaria spp, Heterakis spp), but prevalence can be as high as 50%.

The most relevant species for poultry are:
  • Acuaria spiralis = Dispharynx spiralis = Dispharynx nasuta = Synhimantus nasuta, found mainly in America, Africa and Asia.
  • Acuaria hamulosa = Cheilospirura hamulosa, known also as thegizzard worm, found mainly in Africa (up to 50% prevalence), but reported also in America and Asia.
Source: http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2650&Itemid=2939

-Kathy

That looks like a tape worm, and tapes are hard to kill unless you use praziquantel. There is a study that says fenbendazole given three days a row will kill one of the species, but I have my doubts. To the best of my knowledge, praziquantel will kill all species of tapes.

-Kathy

I have just wormed my chickens with LEVOPLIX (levamisole HCL 10%). about 2 hours later I found a huge poop wit 2 pieces of tape worm. just wanted to share my experience.

as my chickens don't drink water with medicines, I tricked them with putting bread in water with levoplix powder. works fine.

Back
Top Bottom