Treating hookworms

The book I have, Veterinary Parasitology Reference Manual, doesn't mention hookworms in poultry, but I did notice that cat and dog hookworms look a lot like poultry larg roundworm eggs, or maybe cecal worm eggs, so I bet that's what they were.

-Kathy

Yellow foamy poop is never normal in my flock, and my vet made a comment about foamy poop being caused by protozoas. Might be a good idea to have another fecal done.

-Kathy

I have had 2 fecals checked. If it were roundworms shouldn't the pyrantal have taken care of them? Is there a good/different wormer I should try that would maybe do the most common poultry worms? I appreciate your help!

The book I have, Veterinary Parasitology Reference Manual, doesn't mention hookworms in poultry, but I did notice that cat and dog hookworms look a lot like poultry larg roundworm eggs, or maybe cecal worm eggs, so I bet that's what they were.

-Kathy

Yellow foamy poop is never normal in my flock, and my vet made a comment about foamy poop being caused by protozoas. Might be a good idea to have another fecal done.

-Kathy

I have had 2 fecals checked. If it were roundworms shouldn't the pyrantal have taken care of them? Is there a good/different wormer I should try that would maybe do the most common poultry worms? I appreciate your help!

If they were large roundworms, yes, pyrantel should have treated them, but if your vet is not used to looking at chicken fecals it's possible that they were cecal worms, not large roundworms. I'll try to find som pictures so you can see what I mean.

Safeguard (fenbendazole) liquid for goats/cattle will treat large roundworms and cecal worms with a single oral dose of 50mg/kg, which works out to about 0.23ml per pound. Repeat in ten days. Gapeworms need 3 consecutive days and capillary worms need 5 consecutive days, but probably no need to worry about them if your vet is sure about what he/she is seeing. Capillary worms look almost exactly like whip worms. :D

Valbazen (albendazole) liquid will treat almost all worms with a single oral dose of 20mg/kg, which works out to about 0.08ml per pound. Repeat in ten days. Gapes would require 3 days, but I think the one day dose does treat capillary worms.

Wazine (piperazine) will treat large roundworms, but that's it. I think the dose is 1 ounce per gallon of water for 24 hours. I have not used Wazine, so do read up on it.

Tractor Supply sells Wazine and Safeguard. Wazine is in the poultry section, Safeguard is in the cattle/goat section.

Jeffers sells 500ml bottles of Valbazen for about $45 plus shipping, but I think shipping is free on orders over $60.

There is a link in my signature for a 60ml bottle of Valbazen for $15 plus $11 shipping.

-Kathy

Last edited:
If they were large roundworms, yes, pyrantel should have treated them, but if your vet is not used to looking at chicken fecals it's possible that they were cecal worms, not large roundworms. I'll try to find som pictures so you can see what I mean.

Safeguard (fenbendazole) liquid for goats/cattle will treat large roundworms and cecal worms with a single oral dose of 50mg/kg, which works out to about 0.23ml per pound. Repeat in ten days. Gapeworms need 3 consecutive days and capillary worms need 5 consecutive days, but probably no need to worry about them if your vet is sure about what he/she is seeing. Capillary worms look almost exactly like whip worms. :D

Valbazen (albendazole) liquid will treat almost all worms with a single oral dose of 20mg/kg, which works out to about 0.08ml per pound. Repeat in ten days. Gapes would require 3 days, but I think the one day dose does treat capillary worms.

Wazine (piperazine) will treat large roundworms, but that's it. I think the dose is 1 ounce per gallon of water for 24 hours. I have not used Wazine, so do read up on it.

Tractor Supply sells Wazine and Safeguard. Wazine is in the poultry section, Safeguard is in the cattle/goat section.

Jeffers sells 500ml bottles of Valbazen for about $45 plus shipping, but I think shipping is free on orders over $60.

There is a link in my signature for a 60ml bottle of Valbazen for $15 plus $11 shipping.

-Kathy

Kathy, you have no idea how much I appreciate all the info on the separate wormers as well as their dosages! I have read so much on both worming and coccidiosis and while I have the corid/coccidia figured out, the wormers have confused me!
I will look for safeguard next time I am at the store. I also plan on starting another dose of Corid tomorrow....probably for 7 days. I don't see the yellow/foamy stools all the time...they do have some stool that looks normal but I am distressed that they even have any of this yellow stool at all. It looks nothing like what my silkie's cecal poop looks like. Sigh.....
It doesn't help that I also have a duck with bumble foot I have been treating for over 2 weeks.
1f62a.png
My animals have definitely been keeping me on my toes lately!
Again though, thank you so much for your help!!!

Last edited:
I purchased the safeguard yesterday and wormer all 10 chickens. I was just out filling water and noticed a couple of stools that were a little pinkish and almost looked like a slightly disoved roundworm. Is that how the safeguard works? Is it possible that is what I saw or would this have been some other type of tissue? So far all other stools I saw looked normal minus these two and one that had solid stool with a bit of runny yellow. I'm so hoping that they are on the road to recovery!!!

I purchased the safeguard yesterday and wormer all 10 chickens. I was just out filling water and noticed a couple of stools that were a little pinkish and almost looked like a slightly disoved roundworm. Is that how the safeguard works? Is it possible that is what I saw or would this have been some other type of tissue? So far all other stools I saw looked normal minus these two and one that had solid stool with a bit of runny yellow. I'm so hoping that they are on the road to recovery!!!
Not sure what you saw, but sometimes you will see whole worms in their poop, sometimes you's see nothing because they are digested. If you find more off looking poop, take a picture of it and post it here.

-Kathy

I still have to find some pictures of hook worms, but when I'll do, I'll post them. In the pictures above, compare the canine whip worm to the avian capillary worm and you can see how a dog/cat vet might mistake think chickens get whip worms.

-Kathy

This was one of the 2 stools. It was hard to get a good picture of it....

Back
Top Bottom