Treats for my girls

My new chicks are 6 weeks old, I have given them some kale, lettuce, mustard greens, sprouts, banana, strawberries and so far they don't seem interested in anything. Are they too young? Do I just keep trying?

My new chicks are 6 weeks old, I have given them some kale, lettuce, mustard greens, sprouts, banana, strawberries and so far they don't seem interested in anything. Are they too young? Do I just keep trying?
LOL....thats quite a variety of treats. Pick one and just work on that one. Mine couldn't stand mealworms....completely ignored them, for about a week, then one tried it and pretty soon everyone was going for it. I throw watermelon out once a week and still my Salmon Favorelles won't have anything to do with them.....but I figure over time they'll change their mind.

You know, I find this thing about potatoes killing chickens curious.
When I grew up we lived on a farm, and our chickens got ALL the leftovers from dinner, including potatoes. I don't remember any dying. Is this FACT or is it myth???
I feed mine leftover cooked potatoes, all the time. It's the "green skin" you have to avoid in potatoes.

LOL....thats quite a variety of treats. Pick one and just work on that one. Mine couldn't stand mealworms....completely ignored them, for about a week, then one tried it and pretty soon everyone was going for it. I throw watermelon out once a week and still my Salmon Favorelles won't have anything to do with them.....but I figure over time they'll change their mind.
Thank you I will keep trying.

Can I feed mangos to my chickens?

I know about...
* no avocados
* no citrus
* no onions or garlic( unless you wants their eggs to taste
like onions and garlic)
Are there more no nos that i don't know about?
Actually chickens can eat the avocado flesh...not the skin or pit. They can also eat onions and garlic in small quantities....The Chicken Chick lady has a really great article on using garlic to help your chickens and I know many of us use garlic juice to spray the chickens for bugs and garlic in their water. I've never fed them citrus, but its been because I rarely eat it, never had thought to feed them to the chickens....lol...not enough to share. Honestly if you research on the internet you will hear both sides of this discussion. So after reading decide what you're willing to do and not do. But many of us feed things that people say no to because we've done a lot of research and found out under certain conditions (usually not too much of) chickens are fine. Certainly in the old days they had no idea what chickens should or shouldn't eat so I don't have any doubt you'll find people who have been feeding their chickens everything and the chickens are 20 years old now :lau

Back
Top Bottom