Treats?

silvertitan

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
My chicks are only 10 days old and are very active! I am wondering when I can begin to give them treats and what qualifies as a treat?

This link will take you to a chart I've referred to several times. It shows which treats are ok for chickens and what you should avoid. As to when to start giving them, I didn't start until they were a couple months old but I'm not sure you couldn't begin sooner as long as they continue to eat their feed well. Sure don't want to replace their healthy diet with "candy" (which is sort of what treats are).

Hope this link helps!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

My chicks are only 10 days old and are very active! I am wondering when I can begin to give them treats and what qualifies as a treat?
Treats are anything other than there regular poultry feed..

As for when to start feeding treats, everyone has there own idea but your best not to feed treats until the around half grown.

I would agree to wait - you don't want them to limit their feeding regiment to only treats and miss the critical vitamins in the growth feed. I have old ladies right now who I adore but I also see when I am starting to feed too many treats and they begin to limit eating the layers. But they are just so cute when they beg
droolin.gif

Mine get treats a few days a week. They are 19 weeks now. They didn't start to be super interested in treats until they were around 12 weeks old. Now we have to watch our fingers!

Back
Top Bottom