Trying to be a good neighbor

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1135151/100-urban-predator-proof-chicken-run

lots of good designs on here so I definitely recommend browsing through coops, this is my build, other than the added concrete slab its perfect for urban chicken keeping. I used corrugated metal roofing ($13 for a 12' x2.3' sheet) and added a few clear plastic panels for added light ($30for 12'x2.3' sheets). And of course as you are building ask a billion and one questions because you are going to get at least 5 different opinions for every one question and then you can chose your own path.

no really a round up fan, but to each their own... I just feel like if you chicken consume it, it may not harm them but its still inside of them and then you are eating eggs that more than likely has a form of the same chemical in it.
but you know what... you do you and i'll respect it
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Living in PA you might want a solid roof on your run for snow exclusion.
Keep in mind winter access to tend to birds.
Also keeping liquid water available at all times, this takes power, either electric or people power swapping out waterers several times a day.

Having a large walk in coop separated into 3 sections(main pen, new birds pen, and feed/supply storage)is excellent any climate.

Any building codes that might affect your plans?
The more time you spend planning and researching, the happier you'll be with what you build long term.

Leave the chicken wire at the store, and get hardware cloth instead, and some 2"x4" woven wire fencing too. Covered runs are great, both for weather, and to keep out predators. Mary
I have 2 purposes, one to screen in the window in the coop, and then to actually fence in the run....what do you suggest i use for each? (sorry if this is a dumb question...i appreciate the help)

Quote: I'm not Mary/Folly, but I don't think she'll mind if I answer....
.....Not a dumb question(none really are).
IMO coop should have all openings(except pop door of course) covered in securely attached 1/2" hardware cloth for night security.
Run mesh.....depends on your budget and needs.
My run is just 2x4 welded wire fencing, walls, roof, aprons......
.....recently added 1/2" HC on bottom 2' of walls to keep small chicks in and to hold back deeper litter.
BUT I am home 90% of the time, and have few predators to worry about except hawks.

Think about pressure treated 2x4 base on the concrete, and definitely 1/2 inch HW cloth everywhere on walls, windows, IMHO due to predators...Amazon or online may have best prices in my experience...one of the best things I ever did was get a roof on the run...chickens are out in cold weather but I don't have to shovel the snow out of the run and they aren't cooped up for the winter...same for rain, not cooped up and the run stays dry. The ones I like best are those translucent fiberglass(?) or plastic corrugated (rippled) sheets...think it would be inexpensive and easy to install..use the hardware cloth over all vents except the pop door, which should be enclosed by the run.

If I had to do it all over again (we should have a thread for that!) I would build a Woods Coop. You can do a search for it on the forum...and it seems there is a free book about that coop design online---you can't go wrong and you have the space for it...

Will be following with interest! Good luck, and keep asking questions.

Yea, I have the 12x12 concrete slab, and most of that area of the yard is all over grown with weeds, so my plan is to cut them all down real nice, and let the chickens help me keep them down! I want to start with 3-5 just to get the hang of it, This will be a nice home project for my 7 year old son and I to do together (yea yea i know i'll end up doing 99.9% of the work ;) ) maybe next spring we'll add to our flock, i'd like to eventually find a happy medium between supplying all the elderly people at our church with free eggs, and a decent but not overly tiresome amount of work, so i think maybe a max of 12-16 birds at some point?
You don't need to cut the weeds, let the chickens do the work for you. Each end of year I pull the coop and electric netting around the various flower beds to let them weed. Basically they will love the cover as they take out the insects then start to make head way with paths and before you know it it's all dug up and no more weeds. Once I start to see flower bulbs it's time to move them on to the next bed.

With only layers the noise isn't too bad. The only comotion is egg songs and once one gets going can get the whole flock in an uproar. It can get quite loud but thankfully that's usually only when they start laying. Once in the mode of things it's typically just the one bird sounding the song pre lay and not nearly as panicky as when with their very first eggs. I hear told Wyandotte are especially loud and a possible breed to ignore in selection.

I'm not Mary/Folly, but I don't think she'll mind if I answer....
.....Not a dumb question(none really are).
IMO coop should have all openings(except pop door of course) covered in securely attached 1/2" hardware cloth for night security.
Run mesh.....depends on your budget and needs.
My run is just 2x4 welded wire fencing, walls, roof, aprons......
.....recently added 1/2" HC on bottom 2' of walls to keep small chicks in and to hold back deeper litter.
BUT I am home 90% of the time, and have few predators to worry about except hawks.

Almost the exact setup, except I have 2x3 green fencing wire instead of 2x4 welded.

The 2' 1/2 hardware cloth not only keeps the little ones and deep litter in, but also prying hands out (raccoon).

As the run is as secure as the coop, my poop door is open 24/7.

As I use lights to mimic my summer solstice, I also light the run for the birds to enjoy.

Last edited:
I got my actual measurements this weekend. the shed will be 10' x 8' with the 10' section facing the house. the area of the run will be 32' x 21 feet. I dont think i'll be able to swing a roof over the run. Its a large area, and i don't think it would be cost effective.

There is just no way to get a safe permanent electric to the coop, i'd love to but it would cost alot for someone to run it for me, and i cant do it myself, i'm not that cool. I will be able to run an extension cord up there from the house for use of tools and power washer and stuff...but i dont want to risk a fire using an extension cord and any kind of heater for anything...

The Woods style coop looks awesome....but very intimidating......I'm looking at a Lean to Coop with vents up top. With a tree hanging over my coop. I'm going to try to have it 7' tall in the front and 5' in the rear ( or even 4' if i can get away with that big of a slope). I'd like a single door in the front and a window above an protruding nest box. and on the side of the coop facing the run i'd like to make most of that wall an open window covered by the hard wire cloth, so in the spring and summer lots of air can get in. Though, i have to think of how to secure it in the winter, maybe just make a covering that fits into the opening and can latch on all four sides? The rear and left side of the coop i will have minimal access too, due to a fence and the tree. i also need to figure the inside layout for easy feeding and cleaning of the dropping board.

i'm going to try and draw up the plans in the next few days, to show you guys to get some feed back.

i wont lie, i'm super intimidated here....This will be the first construction project i've ever done on my own, my Dad was a brilliant builder and handy man, and i usually just held the flash light. my Dad passed a year ago, and well, he grew up on a farm and would have LOVED the idea of having back yard chickens.... so help me make him smile up there lol!

Thanks

Ken

Back
Top Bottom