Trying to be a good neighbor

Good looking chicks! If you haven't already, put a lid on your brooder to keep the chicks in. Best of luck to you!
Hmmm....This sounds dumb but will the fly out? i wasnt sure if they could get out....now that i'd writing it out i feel really dumb! thanks!!! i will when i get home from work today!

gig.gif
Sorry yes they will fly out if they are big enough/feathered enough. Funny little things aren't they?

We are in a suburban neighborhood on a 1/3 acre. We are doing a "mobile coop" but if we needed to make it stationary, I would do deep litter method. I've heard really good things about it. I casually mentioned it to the neighbors when talking to them. We aren't planning on having any roosters, which seemed to make them happy. I plan on giving them some eggs as well. Our ordinances treat chickens the same as dogs. They fall out under the noise ordinance laws. Hence, the no rooster. Good luck with your project!

Don't feel dumb! Everybody knows that chickens can't "fly". But those assisted jumps will get them pretty far. Don't be surprised if you find pooped on spots in unexpected places.

Don't feel dumb! Everybody knows that chickens can't "fly". But those assisted jumps will get them pretty far. Don't be surprised if you find pooped on spots in unexpected places.

I agree. When I first got my chicks, I had No. Idea. What. To. Expect. For example, i didn't realize they couldn't live in a plastic tote for six weeks. Mine lived in theirs for about two, I think and then were moved to an enclosed bathtub shower with cobbled together cardboard boxes, and when THAT didn't work anymore, they went to a doggie playpen (which would have been fine to start with! if I had figured it out earlier).

The best part for me really was the extremely challenging and steep learning curve...

let us know if you find any outside the brooder when you get home today!
tongue.png
they are good jumpers! lololol

So The Chicks are Bigger and Have Been moved outside!

Priscilla the Barred Rock...We Think may be Percivil....a Rooster.... The White one here is Kat Jr named after my wife because i droped a pair of socks on the floor instead of in the hamper and it wouldnt stop cherping at me....Picture 2 is Spike and behind spike is Betty...

These were a Barn Yard Mix...so im not real sure what they are. RIP Jason Bourne...Who is not in these pictures...he was found dead outside bleeding from the neck...not sure if it was a neighborhood Kat...but i have made them much more secure since then, and no one else has died.

Ya know, I like to draw A LOT!

My coup keeps being redesigned, but the run is actually final.

I started from this using chain link....

To these plans...

This is the final plan...I also have a 12x20 tarp that can
cover the front run, the coop, only leaving half of that
8x8 run exposed to the sun and inclement weather. It
will be attached with big eye-bolts, but not permanent.
It can be rolled back for those nice days/seasons. It's
just an added creature comfort.

To finally this...

Only the Observation deck will be exposed. The entire run will
be screened in (including top) with quarter-inch hardware cloth
and open to walk through No wild birds or critters will be able
to get in. The park bench is replaced with a porch glider bench.

Basically four 8x8 foot squares. The 2x6 boards will be covered
with deep litter. That upper quadrant is reserved for the coop but
will still be open to the rest of the run.

I'm also gonna put a little drop-down door behind that spool of
hardware cloth so I can throw in a few treats without entering
the run.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom