Trying to be a good neighbor

I'm a little late to the party, but I think that the first thing I'd do is check with planning and zoning or your town council ordinances to find out about setbacks. I read the ordinance you quoted about having the animals, but all that really addressed was the keeping, not specifically the building of the facilities to house them. In most areas (mine included, where I sat on both the Planning and Zoning commission and the town council) setback requirements are for ANY construction, so they often don't break it down again separately in any animal ordinance. The general gist is that the setbacks are already spelled out under "new construction" and are, for the most part, iron-clad. With good enough reasons, you can go to P&Z and request a variance, which if approved then has to go before the town council for final approval, but that's a process that adds time to the project and puts you on the radar. I enlarged your photo (we would have killed for that kind of clear illustration included with some of the applications we got, by the way!) and if I'm looking at it correctly your setup practically touches the fences surrounding your property. So do look into setback requirements more fully before you commit to a design and construction. One other thing you might want to think about before you build....there might well be times when you NEED to be able to walk all the way around your setup to tend to things behind it. If you build as close to the fence as the photo looks, that might be an issue. Now, as I said, I'm just going by the photo and things might not be as close as they look.

We found ourselves in the same situation you are in - limited construction skills, living in town and having to build something aesthetically pleasing to the neighbors, but I stupidly had the added burden of already having 22 chicks in the house who desperately need to be evicted and no place to put them yet! When you add to that the fact that I was serving on the town council, I also had to follow the letter of the laws completely or risk that old, "Well, I guess when you're part of the government you can do what you want" complaint. I live on a corner lot so our setup is visible from the north side and the east side of the street. Here in Cowley, evening bike rides and strolls (or just walks in winter bundled up against the cold) are the norm - we're still in the sit-on-the-porch-with-an-iced-tea-and-wave-at-folks-as-they-ride-or-walk-by kind of community and people notice everything in our yards!

So for our run we opted for cattle panels. Yep, just $22.00 cattle panels, 3 of them, and some steel fence posts! Hubby and I are both in our 60s and both of us have some degree of disability, so we needed easy, fast, and good looking. It also had to withstand snow loads and regular winds in the 40 mph range with gust much higher! Why, here just this Tuesday we had a wind gust of 94 mph. Cattle panels fit the bill - cheap and effective. We pounded steel posts on two sides, then arched cattle panels between them and wired them into place. No elaborate framing needed, no fussing, and the two of us were easily able to handle them. We covered them in chicken wire to deter overhead predators, squirrels, and wild birds, which can create havoc when they get into the coop or run, then added an apron extending out over the ground almost 2 feet and a skirt of hardware cloth going up 2 feet, because chicken wire in and of itself is no true deterrent. This setup has exceeded our expectations, and when we opted to enlarge the run all we had to do was remove the end panel on the south side, add one more fence post on each side, add another cattle panel to the end, and then put the end piece back on. Took us old geezers about 4 hours. That's my kind of "home improvement!" The entire coop/run is easy to keep up, keep clean, and we can walk upright in it, which at our ages is a big plus!

As for predators, that's a mighty inviting looking tree right next to your planned coop. Great for shade and weather protection, but easy for anything - a stray cat, an owl or hawk, family of racoon or possum - to use it as a ladder to gain access, so covering and predator proofing would be essential even if you didn't get snow or need rain protection. For that we just use landscape fabric in the summer for shade and to encourage water run-off, and clear plastic in winter, ala greenhouse. Just because we don't see predators doesn't mean they aren't there, especially in the suburbs or in town where pickin's are pretty easy. I once watched an entire family of raccoon come up out of a storm drain in downtown Denver....yep, right downtown amid the brightly lit skyscrapers and traffic.

Our setup in summer....

And in winter.
SUPER Helpful!!! There is a fence to the left of where the coop will be, but no fence behind it, just the trunk of the tree.

See? Despite enlarging your photo I still "saw" a fence behind it! Duh, Diane!
idunno.gif
I'm so glad that there might have been some tid-bits of help in my post somewhere...as most folks on BYC can tell you I tend to get a little (well, a lot) long winded and photo-happy. If you would like more pictures and descriptions of how we accomplished the cattle panel run, you can find them by clicking on "My Coop" under my avatar. The run starts about halfway down the page. This particular run will work well with almost any kind of coop - raised or on the ground, big or small.

And by all means, since you have time yet, do spend a little of it browsing the amazing pages of other coop builds folks have shared. If you find one that fits your needs and space, go for it! Or you might find that hybridizing your own combo will work well for you...take a little from this coop, a little from that run, and combine them as you think your building skills and budget can handle. Many people have gone to big box stores, purchased storage sheds in the size they wanted, had them delivered and set up (most of the home improvement stores offer that service) and then just optimize it with ventilation, windows, or whatever you need to make it work for you as a coop. If our coop had flopped, that was our plan B. But the run would have remained the same no matter what we did.

Good luck, and continue to keep us posted!

See? Despite enlarging your photo I still "saw" a fence behind it! Duh, Diane!
idunno.gif
I'm so glad that there might have been some tid-bits of help in my post somewhere...as most folks on BYC can tell you I tend to get a little (well, a lot) long winded and photo-happy. If you would like more pictures and descriptions of how we accomplished the cattle panel run, you can find them by clicking on "My Coop" under my avatar. The run starts about halfway down the page. This particular run will work well with almost any kind of coop - raised or on the ground, big or small.

And by all means, since you have time yet, do spend a little of it browsing the amazing pages of other coop builds folks have shared. If you find one that fits your needs and space, go for it! Or you might find that hybridizing your own combo will work well for you...take a little from this coop, a little from that run, and combine them as you think your building skills and budget can handle. Many people have gone to big box stores, purchased storage sheds in the size they wanted, had them delivered and set up (most of the home improvement stores offer that service) and then just optimize it with ventilation, windows, or whatever you need to make it work for you as a coop. If our coop had flopped, that was our plan B. But the run would have remained the same no matter what we did.

Good luck, and continue to keep us posted!
i am working on a budget. I'm now thinking, i may leave the shed there and build a smalled 4x8 coop next to it, it seems to be a general consensus that i enclose the top of the run. i have to really do some brain storming and see if i want to enclose the whole 20' x30' area? or just part of it....make it so when i'm around they can run around the whole area, but when i'm not only give them access to the parts i can totally enclose. Like you said, i'm planning on getting chicks in the spring so i do have some time to plan it all out.

Also i appreciate information and pics so please be as "long winded" as you like!

I'm still a newbie and a lot has already been said so I'll try to add a few ideas I'm working on myself. I got my Chickens 3 months ago and started with the small coop and 4 chickens. I now have 7 and will finish my 2nd coop in the next couple days. I don't have a concrete pad so I built mine raised. This is an advantage in that the chickens love to hang out under it for shade so that's something you may consider somewhere in your run.

My new coop has a large screen window across the front for lots of ventilation when its nice out. I'm building a panel with a center window of plexiglass that will hinge on top so I can prop it open or close it when needed. I'm covering the side triangles but putting a small screened opening in both sides for all year ventilation. Also have screen covering the gap above the front wall between where the rafters overhang. I can fasten covers to put over the side vents but don't think I'll really need them.

I'm using a tarp (for shade) and leftover 2x4 wire fence over my run since a couple chickens were found outside a couple times. I'll eventually built a solid section with a solid side as a windbreak (looks like you have a nice yard fend for the windbreak) and get some "bird cloth" from Tractor Supply for a permanent cover. My run is low so right now I catch on the fence cover whenever I walk to the other end.

The white pvc devices on the red coop are a feeder and waterer. Work great except when its below freezing, for winter I've switched to a cheap plastic waterer from TS. If it freezes and breaks I have a spare.

Hope this helps you a little.

Sorry, pvc waterer is not shown. Pic was after I switched for winter. Here's a pic earlier in the build of the back showing my nest boxes.

i am working on a budget. I'm now thinking, i may leave the shed there and build a smalled 4x8 coop next to it, it seems to be a general consensus that i enclose the top of the run. i have to really do some brain storming and see if i want to enclose the whole 20' x30' area? or just part of it....make it so when i'm around they can run around the whole area, but when i'm not only give them access to the parts i can totally enclose. Like you said, i'm planning on getting chicks in the spring so i do have some time to plan it all out.

Also i appreciate information and pics so please be as "long winded" as you like!
My run isn't totally enclosed...just covered with landscape fabric over the top in summer and partially covered in plastic during the winter. You can't see by the photos, but the south side of the run isn't covered most of the time. We put the reinforced mesh clear plastic tarp on in such a way that we can roll it down when it's sunny and roll it back up if our winds and snow are going to blowing directly in. There's a section on the north side that's wide open too, and the tarp doesn't go all the way to the ground on the remaining two sides. Ventilation is important in winter, too. The first year we tried the plastic, we sealed that puppy up, thinking "greenhouse". Well, that was pretty stupid! We ended up with condensation running down the inside walls and dripping off the top. Cold +chickens + moisture = big problems. So now we just cover it to keep the majority of the snow out but to let plenty of fresh in and get stale, moist air out.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "enclose" but ours is anything but. It's wide open....the lattice in the pictures is just a little vinyl fencing we added for looks - it serves no purpose whatsoever. The pop door into the run is open 24/7, so the chickens move from coop to run freely, and even in winter they spend most of their time out in the run rather than cooped up in the coop. The run feels likethe outdoors because except for the wind and precipitation protection it is the outdoors. The only thing between them and the yard is the fencing. Let me see if I can find photos of the inside....

Blooie, I love your run. Is the arch the heavy 4x4 wire fence? It looks self supporting and would make a great net or tarp support. I could easily do something like that for my run.

Well I got my guys! Went to the Chicken Swap at the Local Tractor supply and got these guys for a good price. Not sure of the sex, and they are just a Barn Yard Mix....kinda misfits and that fits well with us LOL. So let me introduce you to my first chickens!!!!

Back
Top Bottom