Trying to get backyard chickens legal in Warren County, OH

Crose527

Hatching
May 28, 2022
Hi!

I live in Warren County, OH. Based on the laws of Warren county, any land parcel under 3 acres can have NO chickens. I wrote to the township and zoning office and they both basically told me there is nothing they can do. I also wrote to the county commissioner, but haven't had a response yet. I wrote a letter bringing up all the positive aspects of chicken husbandry, and I also added regulations from a township close to here so they could have a basis of what I'm asking for. Basically 4 hens, no roosters, with limits on how far away the coops have to be from property lines and houses.

Has anyone been able to change their county's rules and regulations regarding chickens? If so, how did you do it?

No HOA, it is considered platted land and less than 3 acres (a little under 2) which makes it illegal. Zone R1A
City or county?

Often, finding out what neighboring counties allow is helpful. I find that requiring 3-5 acres for a few chickens is so odd. Chickens don’t require that much space or land. I have just about an acre, and my chickens take up so little of that space and do not bother the neighbors on either side, even with windows opened and we have a rooster. But, I’d get rid of any rooster that couldn’t shut up or crowed a lot anyway.

If you proceed trying to get them allowed, don’t just go for 4 chickens, Ohio law requires you to purchase 6 chicks when buying them. Personally I’d go for 12 chickens/ no roosters and no restrictions under 3 months old. This way you can raise some meat birds as they are butchered around 8 weeks and stay quiet, and you could hatch eggs, and if you accidentally got a male you would be able to know it and rehome it by 3 months before it started to crow. Plus, if only raising hybrid layers, you can cycle better with an upper limit of 12 getting 6-8 first year, add a few next year, get rid of some following year to buy more, etc and not violate the rules.

Ohio is generally Chicken friendly, so I hope you find success.

@U_Stormcrow any thoughts?

Country. I'm backed up to a huge farm and all my neighbors have at least 2 acres. I didn't even think about it but being legal.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know there was a minimum to buy

No HOA, it is considered platted land and less than 3 acres (a little under 2) which makes it illegal. Zone R1A

I don't really have anything useful to add, but as a fellow Ohioan I am rooting for you!!! Just keep pushing and you'll find a way. Maybe see if there is a city council meeting you can go to and kind of network a little to find people who know how to go about changing laws/ordinances.

You could go to the commissioners and ask for a variance. In town here it is illegal to have chickens, but some people have asked for a variance and gotten it.

I am also rooting for you! I live in Maineville and would LOVE to have chickens. I’ll sign a petition if I need to.

Hi!

I live in Warren County, OH. Based on the laws of Warren county, any land parcel under 3 acres can have NO chickens. I wrote to the township and zoning office and they both basically told me there is nothing they can do. I also wrote to the county commissioner, but haven't had a response yet. I wrote a letter bringing up all the positive aspects of chicken husbandry, and I also added regulations from a township close to here so they could have a basis of what I'm asking for. Basically 4 hens, no roosters, with limits on how far away the coops have to be from property lines and houses.

Has anyone been able to change their county's rules and regulations regarding chickens? If so, how did you do it?
Hi- any updates? We are on an acre in Clearcreek Twp-would like chickens but just saw the 3 acre rule for Warren County

Im in Clearcreek TWP as well on summer field we have like 4 or more homes with 1.25-2.5 acres that want chickens as well but were told no. Does turtlecreek have any regs on this or middletown? We are thinking about ducks now since chickens are a no. We can band together, sign petitions, send something out in the mail to everyone.

Back
Top Bottom