TSC Chick Days Are STARTING NEXT WEEK!!!!!

Yippeee. 3 of the bantams have the black/gray skin. So hoping they are Silkies! 2 had a little extra puff to their forehead - maybe polish. 1 (red picture) not sure yet. She has pink skin. Seriously hoping D'uccle. But I am not done shopping yet. hee hee hee hee
If they have black skin and 5 toes per foot- silkie. :) I was first in my store and pulled out 5 silkies and a possible Cochin. Need to stay far away now! Unless they get polish... Or more silkies...

They just said Mexico. That's all I was given.

Well, to quite a few people, New Mexico is practically Mexico.

When we went to move here to MD from NM, we called around looking for a realtor to help us find a place to live. Several said they were not interested in working with us because they didn't call international. :lol

I doubt seriously anyone is importing chicks from Mexico. I was a field veterinarian with USDA for a while. Importation of birds is super expensive. No way they would do it for chicks that retail for a few bucks each. I bet they originate in NEW Mexico, and whoever was on the phone with you never heard the New part or doesn't know basic geography.

I haven't been to our TSC. Dont need chicks, but I do need female Swedish ducks...

Well, to quite a few people, New Mexico is practically Mexico.

When we went to move here to MD from NM, we called around looking for a realtor to help us find a place to live. Several said they were not interested in working with us because they didn't call international. :lol

I doubt . riously anyone is importing chicks from Mexico. I was a field veterinarian with USDA for a while. Importation of birds is super expensive. No way they would do it for chicks that retail for a few bucks each. I bet they originate in NEW Mexico, and whoever was on the phone with you never heard the New part or doesn't know basic geography.

I haven't been to our TSC. Dont need chicks, but I do need female Swedish ducks...
That's what I was thinking. $2-3 per doesn't leave room for much. In fact, I suspect they take a loss on chicks to sell accessories and feed.

I am getting 18 RIR and NHR chicks tonight from a local farm plus I have already ordered 10 leghorn 5 light brahma and 10 Red Sex Link online they will be here March 5th or 6th! My local TSC got chicks this week so I need to stay away! I don't need anymore! Lol

The other reason I suspect they do not import chicks is the quarantine time. All imported birds are held for 30 days at a location determined by the importer and the USDA Vet Services office. If you need to move the bird, you need to tell the USDA-VS office in your state. From what I can tell, they are selling very young birds, and this would preclude the quarantine.

Too much time and money would be wrapped up in chicks.

Anyhow, the TSC website has mostly southern states listed, with the rest of getting chicks on the 25th.

Sometimes chicks start to die after one gets them home.
Many times this is due to the stress of being shipped

and the stress of adapting to a new environment , both in the store and their new home.
===================================
There is one thing you can do to help the birds thru any travel stress they might experience before they reach you. Travel stress is something the seller cannot predict and we all worry about. Despite our best efforts, postal delays, and misdirected shipments, etc, do happen. I have seen a number of folks ordering chicks this year and despairing when the chicks started dying after they arrive home. I am convinced a majority of these losses are due to travel stress. That's not the seller's fault.
It is something you can mitigate. For years I have used Bovidr Labs products on my dogs and poultry. The products are top notch and really do what they say. PoultryNutri-Drench is an emergency nutritional supplement especially made for those times when stress compromises a creatures ability to uptake nutrients or stabilize their metabolism. I love this product. It is wonderful for dealing with travel stress, new hatched chicks, broody hens, show birds. Any time a bird's environment or health causes challenges to it's well-being.
Poultry Nutri-Drench can be bought on-line and at Tractor Supply. It is very concentrated. Just put in their water for the first few days after they arrive and are adjusting to their new environment. Also give 1 drop to each bird by mouth when they arrive. The neat thing about Bovidr Labs products is that they don't need digested. They are absorbed thru the mouth, tongue and throat, in addition to the stomach. This makes them the perfect help for creatures whose G.I. tract is compromised by stress or lack of well-being. It is especially good for bringing back creatures who have low blood sugar. In 15 minutes, it can bring back a puppy who is in seizures from low blood sugar.
The $10.00 bottle, which is 4 oz., is plenty for your needs. The folks at Bovidr Labs are very knowledgeable and have all dosages, if you need help with that, right at hand.
I don't work for Bovidr Labs or sell ther products, just a huge fan. Here is their website: http://www.bovidr.com/poultry.html
Best Success,
Karen
Waterford English Light Sussex
in western PA
==========================
Just talked to Bovidr Labs. They no longer make the 8 oz. bottle with the pump. They make the 4 oz. bottle with dropper and the qt. bottle which has a cap.
For chicks, they reaffirm one drop by mouth upon arrival. Then 2 cc per gallon of water in the chicks water for the next 2 weeks. ( one will probably need the qt. bottle to supplement for 2 weeks, it depends on how many chicks one has). Bovidr said it does say 4 cc per gallon on the bottle, however, if the chicks won't drink that strong of solution, 2 cc per gallon works just fine. If one is using less than a gallon waterer, then change the PND/warer ratios accordingly.
==========================================
Places to buy PND
http://www.amazon.com/Bovidr-Laboratories-Poultry-Nutri-Drench-oz/dp/B000HHQEBK

http://www.amazon.com/gp/

offer-listing/B000HHQEBK/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

http://www.shanestack.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-15625

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=23114f45-f59a-41e9-baf7-f617dc1dfefb

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.jefferspet.com/poultry-nutri-drench/camid/liv/cp/16796/
best price for 4 oz.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/poultry-nutri-drench.html

Last edited:
Another advantage of chick days- just bought a circulated air incubator on sale!! I've been wanting an incubator but not still air after reading stuff on here but I also didn't want to pay hindreds of dollars. The one I got had everything included- candler, hygrometer and egg turner for just over $100. I will still be there when the doors open on the 25th to see what chicks they get- hoping for Americaunas.

Spunky is definately the way to describe these chicks. They're healthy and outgoing.

Didn't get the breeds I wanted, but they'll be a good starter flock. I can get my 'dream chickens', as time goes by. I know some of these breeds have a shorter lifespan than others, and there will always be the inevitable roo.

Local co op is ordering from same hatchery as tsc but arrival in may. There deal is 25 standard production pullets for $50! Awesome deal but I don't need that many and I lean towards rare 'cool' breeds that others (no one it seems) don't have around here. Hey, niche market for me! Gotta spread the chicken love....

Back
Top Bottom