TSC Chick-sex link?

jc12551

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
S.W. TN
I grabbed these two out of the "Red Pullet" bin at Tractor Supply last week. Came from Mt. Healthy. I am thinking some kind of sex-link/hybrid? Single comb, yellow legs, normal toes, about a week old.

side view of #1

back view of #1

head shot

Wing

Body shot

back shot

According to the Purely Poultry blog ," Production Reds are a true breed derived from Rhode Island Reds and the New Hampshire. The Red Sex Link is a hybrid, created by crossing a Rhode Island Red male and a Delaware Female. The Cinnamon Queen and the Golden Comet are hybrids also. They are excellent layers and even mature a bit earlier than your typical chicken. " Your chicks could be any of those.
hu.gif
smile.png
There are slight coloration differences between all these types when they feather out into adult plumage which will hopefully help you pinpoint exactly which ones yours are. I think all the chicks are almost identical though. I believe the Production Reds will pass their traits on to their offspring but the superior egg laying traits of any of the hybrids listed above will be lost with any new generation coming out of the original hybrid stock. Maybe someone can clarify this a bit better for you.

Last edited:
According to the Purely Poultry blog ," Production Reds are a true breed derived from Rhode Island Reds and the New Hampshire. The Red Sex Link is a hybrid, created by crossing a Rhode Island Red male and a Delaware Female. The Cinnamon Queen and the Golden Comet are hybrids also. They are excellent layers and even mature a bit earlier than your typical chicken. " Your chicks could be any of those.
hu.gif
smile.png
There are slight coloration differences between all these types when they feather out into adult plumage which will hopefully help you pinpoint exactly which ones yours are. I think all the chicks are almost identical though. I believe the Production Reds will pass their traits on to their offspring but the superior egg laying traits of any of the hybrids listed above will be lost with any new generation coming out of the original hybrid stock. Maybe someone can clarify this a bit better for you.

Close but no cigar. If Purely Poultry is putting that on the internet, it is mistaken, but then, anyone can write anything they wish on the internet.

There is no breed call production red. It's just a term used for a productive, reddish bird. That is all.

hu.gif
smile.png
Since Production Reds are a cross between NH Red and RI Red they are a hybrid and not a true breed.

I breed and raise my own Cinnamon Queens and these don't look like them, but I hope they lay as good as my CQs do! It will be fun to see as they get bigger what they really grow into!!! I just needed two fillers since there were not enough SLW chicks to get my minimum of six
big_smile.png

Ty for the clarification. I thought those all were hybrids too so when I read what was on Purely Poultry I thought maybe I was wrong seeing as I am fairly new to raising chickens.. I figured that a site dedicated to chickens and other poultry and that sells them would be a bit more trustworthy and would check their info for inaccuracies. Here is the link to the article. http://www.purelypoultry.com/blog/w...tween-production-reds-and-sex-linked-hybrids/ Maybe someone could go on that page and set them straight becuase they are steering a lot of innocent 4H'ers wrong. lol. Sorry about the misinformation there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link! Production reds are not sex linked hybrids so they are correct. And they may be correct that production reds are "true breeding." But I disagree that they are a true breed lol As a biology teacher (but NOT a chicken genetics expert) I am just splitting hairs. No problem about the info, it was informative and I am always happy when somebody replies to a post lol

Ty for the clarification. I thought those all were hybrids too so when I read what was on Purely Poultry I thought maybe I was wrong seeing as I am fairly new to raising chickens.. I figured that a site dedicated to chickens and other poultry and that sells them would be a bit more trustworthy and would check their info for inaccuracies. Here is the link to the article. http://www.purelypoultry.com/blog/w...tween-production-reds-and-sex-linked-hybrids/ Maybe someone could go on that page and set them straight becuase they are steering a lot of innocent 4H'ers wrong. lol. Sorry about the misinformation there.

I've seen a lot of misinformation on Purely Poultry. IMO, they are not a reliable source. They tick me off, to be honest, because the devil is in the details, and it's so often the details that PP gets wrong.

Thanks for the link! Production reds are not sex linked hybrids so they are correct. And they may be correct that production reds are "true breeding." But I disagree that they are a true breed lol As a biology teacher (but NOT a chicken genetics expert) I am just splitting hairs. No problem about the info, it was informative and I am always happy when somebody replies to a post lol
I would quibble that Production Reds are not true breeding...since they aren't a true breed, you can't breed a Production Red and get a bird with all the same characteristics as the parents. What you get is an assortment of red birds from an assortment of red birds.

Lady of McCamley

Back
Top Bottom