TULSA area Cluckers

All I need to do now is add siding, another window and paint it. Also found a little 15 pound dog that doesn't kill chickens to be in my yard, so I picked up 4 started Pullets last night. Three of them laid today, but I bet I don't see any more for awhile. So do any of you maybe want to go in on an order from McMurry with me? Like I said, I'll pay shipping and delver.

Hey R,
Wish I could order more. I need more coop space. I have 2 in the day care pen and 9 in the brooder in the house. Wish I could build my own coops like you all do. I have plenty of space just not much housing :(
What a beautiful girl in front of your beautiful coop!

Looks great Reagor! Not interested in hatchery chicks at least not this year, have you tried posting on the Okies in the BYC thread maybe others near Tulsa will see it there and could meet you in the area for them.

Didn't get as far as we hoped this weekend, ran into problems with the electric but finally sorted through them. We have one battery brooder set up enough to use with lights and automatic feeder (although it still needs tweaking), but still using chick waterers since the auto water system didn't get set up yet. Second battery brooder will just need a set of wires/lights ran to the switch box and then it will be at the same point. Put seven chicks in it overnight and they did fine and dandy.

Rinda

is there any place around Tulsa where you can take your birds for processing? I don't have any right now but someday I will have extras and I know there is no way I could do the job. Just curious.

Not that I know of... if you find someone let me know, that's a good resource to keep handy. I do know someone on the Okies in the BYC thread that is trying to set up a "mobile processing unit" and wants to travel all over OK particularly northeastern part I think, "hiring out" as a helper- i.e. he is teaching you how to do it but technically you are doing it. Not sure how he is coming along but over the summer he was talking about getting it up and running for next year. I'm sure if enough people were interested he would make a run Tulsa way.

Rinda

A mobile processing unit would be nice. Wouldn't have to pack them in crates and drive them anywhere. I guess if it ever came down to eating or starving I would learn pretty quick how to do it.
sickbyc.gif

I've never processed chickens, but I'm sure that it wouldn't be too hard. I've cleaned a ton of quail and dove, is it really that much different?

Quick question- is it weird that the Pullets I've picked up are still laying even after I drove them here in a small box and hour drive from where I got them? I thought they normally went of lay for a week or three before starting back up after a move? These girls have laid everyday since Saturday. They were in pretty cramped conditions where they were, and had feathers missing from too many roosters and pasty butts, but I cleaned them up and now they are laying like crazy. Could it be that now they are finally not stressed?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom